Drive to Mortain..very good op..

If you haven't played the Operation "Drive to Mortain", you may want to consider it. It is an outstanding Op in my opinion and I send out a hearty "Well Done" to the designer. (I'm at work now, I can't recall at this moment who it was).

You have a mixture of things to worry about, logistics, terrain, speed factor.

I once mentioned that All or Nothing was one of the best scenerio's I've played, this is comparable to a large "All or Nothing" game except in Operation format.

There's the non spoiler info...now here's the spoilers...

Beware..Spoliers for Drive to Mortain Op

I'm not kidding..spoliers ahead..

Although I got a surrender from the AI in battle 4 of 6, I found this a very interesting op. You have a single road to negotiate, uphill the whole way. You start off in damp conditions, so you have to be careful of how to proceed with your armor.

The Germs set some nasty surprises along the way. You have to provide security for your right flank almost the whole way, but they manage to get you from the left on occasion.

You have to move your column at a fairly quick pace or you will get pounded with some heavy artillery. (Not good for those halftracks you have).

The terrain is not all that good for you as an advancing American. There are some cases where when your armor is already on the road, you can't even get it off to engage the enemy on your flanks due to a strip of woods that runs along both sides of the road!! Of course, you have a roadbloack from the rest of your coulumn, which makes it more difficult to double back to a passed exit.

The bocage slows your infantry on the flanks, but it's murder to follow the mission briefing and lead with tanks. You DO need infantry support or forget it. I found the best way was to put a squad on the road in front and run it for a while, then walk it to uncover at least some of the potential traps. (Your armor needs to stick close behind it) I still lost 4 or 5 tanks in the first battle even with this precaution. Forget sending a jeep up ahead, it just merely holds fire until your "good" armor arrives.

All in all, an excellent op which requires some serious patience to negotiate the victory requirements. Kudos again to the designer. This is only my second canned op completion to date, I hope the rest are as worthy. (Other played one was Day in the Cavalry, another good one, but this one was a bit better imho)

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

Originally posted by GI Tom:

If you haven't played the Operation "Drive to Mortain", you may want to consider it. It is an outstanding Op in my opinion and I send out a hearty "Well Done" to the designer. (I'm at work now, I can't recall at this moment who it was).

Agreed, I finished this one myself last night, didn't do as well as you though. Like you I also read the 'lead with armour' bit in the briefing, took one look at the road and thought 'No way'.

------------------

His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity

Thanks, guys, glad you like it.

Drive to Mortain and A Day in the Cavalry are both from me. The "lead with armor" part in the briefing to Drive to Mortain is historical, that's why I included it. But then... I could just as well be a sadistic bastard... wink.gif

It is very difficult to make a good operation, mostly because they can play out so vastly different each time you play it. I heartily suggest replaying some ops a couple of months after you initially played it - you'll be surprised; it will feel like a totally new game.

Martin

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision