PBEM blues... (was CMBB and CDV2)

I tried playing a PBEM game with a US player using the British CDV version. And it corrupted the data transfer files. The US version could not read them.

My oppo contacted BTS and they were aware and it would be fixed in the first patch.

I did not, however, get the full story on the problem...

Does anyone know about this?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Is it limited to certain setups?

Does it make the big pond a real barrier for now?

Frustrated of the UK :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

[ October 23, 2002, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: cris ]

It could be something to do with the email client used. Some people had this problem playing SC. It was discovered that some web based email, Hotmail and Yahoo, changed the text files when attached making them unreadable to your opponent.

Try using a POP3 account to send the files.

However if you are doing that then...

We'll just have to wait for a patch.

I have the US version and I am playing several PBEM games against german players and someone from the UK.

No problems here,did you try sending the files zipped?

that might help if the problem is email client related.

I do have another problem though,TCP mode make the pc crash :(

From Matt...

"We have not positively identified an issue between the CDV version and the US version but it would appear that there is something there. Our thinking is that since the CDV version is slightly different than the US version that could be the cause for the incompatibility. In a couple of weeks we plan on releasing the v1.01 patch for all versions which could alleviate this issue."

I will try the suggestion of setting the game up in the American version and let you know.

I am currently playing a CMBB PBEM against a US player (i have the CDV UK version) and it is running without any problems.

Dont know if it is relevant but we are playing using a fairly small map.

Chris ... is you are looking for a PBEM game drop me a line ... email as per profile.

Lou2000

I'm using the European (CDV) release of CM:BB and I have just started a PBEM with an a player on the other side of the atlantic (Hello Engy!).

Engy set the game up and sent it to me via my Hotmail account.

So far, things're going okay - Although my method of transferring the file is a little unorthodox :

Hotmail opens the attachment by default, so I CTRL-A and CTRL-C (select all and copy) and then CTRL-V (Paste) into a blank .TXT file in my PBEM directory and load that file into CM:BB

I have found in the past that some web-based email clients really $crew with your PBEM turns even if they allow you to save the attachment as a TXT file (In CM:BO and CM:BB)

Maybe the above method could help some people who are stuck?

Same problem here. When I make a setup with the German version, the US player can't read the file. At least not ALL US players.

It helps sometimes when the US player makes the setup, but in several cases the game still hangs when the US player try to open the file that I send him back. Zipping the file does not solve the problem, so it can't be mail client problem.

I contacted BTS about this (and other possibly related issues) and also send a setup I made with the German version. They had no problems to open my files, nor were they able to dublicate the other problems I reported. To be true, their answer gave me the feeling that they suspect I just would try to make fun with them. :(

[ October 24, 2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Scipio ]