Tutorial - Keeping my Shermans alive

I have done a search in the forum for tips on the tutorial, but didn't find anything specific regarding maintaining the health and well-being of my Shermans. I did follow the steps and suggestions in the tutorial section of the manual, but I always seem to lose both my tanks without causing the Germans more than a single tank casualty. I tried staying hull down below the slight rise on the roadway and also used the "hull down" ideas suggested on pages 66-67 but it's still no dice for the tankers. Any advice?

markgame,

I haven't played the tutorial so I can't give you any specific advice on it.

But one mistake new tankers often make is using a tank as a recon vehicle. It only takes one shot to kill a tank, so if you think AT assets are in the area (a good assumption for any mission), its better to try to locate those weapons with something other than than the tank. In the eyes of tankers everywhere, that is the job of the infantry.

Once you have located the threats, you should devise a manuver plan that hits the enemy where he is weakest. I think you are facing StuG's in the tutorial - don't try taking those on frontal - their weakest is from the flanks (due to the lack of a turret).

happy tanking,

James.

In a word: MOVEMENT. Shermans (and most tanks in general) are easily taken out by any AT unit available. 37mm Flaks can take them out from the sides, even. To avoid this, your best defense is to avoid giving your opponent (AI or human) a decent chance to hit you. This is not to say you need to run around the map at FAST speed, just don't keep still for more than a turn or two. Even in the defence, it's a good idea (at least it works for me) to reverse out of a firing position then immediately move back in or slightly to one side. This will cause your enemies to lose LOS and interest. By the time you pop out again, they are usually either moving or firing at someone else, giving you an advantage at reaquisition. This might not work as well once the 1.03 patch is out. (no, I do not consider this "gamey", ask any tanker about using hide and fire positions)

When trying flanking manouevers, remember you have a fast turret and can more easily respond to off-axis threats than German tanks and especially SP guns. In fact, German tanks often have problems tracking a quick vehicle since their turrets can't slew fast enough. (for a good example of this sort of thing, search on "Hetzers" biggrin.gif)

Happy hunting!

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Michael emrys

A trick that worked for me was to send one of my tanks around the right flank so as to take the Panzer in the flank. Even then, I nailed him only about two seconds before he would have had me in his sights. Whew!

If you are still having trouble, try increasing your forces 25%; that will give you an extra tank to play with.

Michael