LOS from inside buildings

Can someone explain LOS from inside buildings?

Do I need to micromange the position of the troops inside or will they find the best LOS out by themselves?

It seems like my troops inside buildings can't see outside very much.

I would think that if infantry were inside a building for a couple of turns, they would find a way to get LOS to their target by some means.

Thanks!

Positions inside buildings do require some micromanagement. Here's how to get the best view of the outside: pull the waypoint marker to the very edge of the building wall (inside), where the marker's terrain label is almost ready to change (but doesn't) to the outside terrain.

On the other hand, if you want your soldiers to take cover inside the building (and be less likely to be seen from outside), put them farther inside. Units deep inside a building can still see out a short distance, but not as far as if they're right at the wall.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martyr:

Positions inside buildings do require some micromanagement. Here's how to get the best view of the outside: pull the waypoint marker to the very edge of the building wall (inside), where the marker's terrain label is almost ready to change (but doesn't) to the outside terrain.

On the other hand, if you want your soldiers to take cover inside the building (and be less likely to be seen from outside), put them farther inside. Units deep inside a building can still see out a short distance, but not as far as if they're right at the wall.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does the position of windows/doors/etc effect LOS from the building?

Also, I am taking it for granted that the 2nd floor gives a further LOS...

Don't worry about the position of windows and doors on the building graphic. CM abstracts buildings to a degree, so that units in the center of the building are (obviously) farther from windows, and units near the outside walls are assumed to be using whatever windows and other openings are available. The same abstraction holds for doorways: you've probably noticed that units can enter a building from any outside wall.

Yes, the 2nd floor gives greater LOS, just as if you were on a hill of that height.

One interesting note in the manual is that units entering a building initally have a poor chance of detecting other units in the building. As time passes, this chance grows a great deal. This time delay simulates the unit searching and securing the various interior rooms and passageways.

i think cm does care for doors and windows. if placed in a corner they see better to the left and the right outdoor environment than that behind the corner, although the unit is rotated to it. and in a building los is not everywhere the same aon the same side of the building.

------------------

Ron

No pain, no game!

Guest aka PanzerLeader

If doors and windows were taken into account infantry wouldn't be able to enter a building any way they like!