Send in the Cavalry

I set up a quik battle today and bought some German Armored Cavalry. I went to the set up map and tryed to place the units on thier transports and I couldn't get them to embark. I got to looking and the 44B SQD has 8 guys and the SPW 250/1 they are supposed to embark can only carry 7. Is this a glitch or am I missing something? :confused:

No dudes!!!

If you look at your halftracks closely, you'll see they have a transport capacity. Some say a number like "7", and there are others that say something like "7(full squad)". As long as you pick the ones that say full squad behind them, you can fit a full squad. I believe the 250/1 and the 251/1 can hold a full squad. Just look at the requisition screen carefully and you'll see. Hope this helps...

Originally posted by 1stCav:

No dudes!!!

If you look at your halftracks closely, you'll see they have a transport capacity. Some say a number like "7", and there are others that say something like "7(full squad)". As long as you pick the ones that say full squad behind them, you can fit a full squad. I believe the 250/1 and the 251/1 can hold a full squad. Just look at the requisition screen carefully and you'll see. Hope this helps...

Actually, the major difference between the 250/1 and the 251/1 is that the 250 class Halftrack is smaller and therefore has a passenger capacity of just a team, while the 251 class (when unencumbered with additional weaponry like the 37mm gun on the 251/10) has a full squad capacity. The 250 is a little bit faster, but that's not something that usually comes into play much in CM.

I believe the problem that Jim is referring to is that some infantry formations, such as Cavalry and Panzergrenadiers, can be purchased as a unit with their armored transport. This usually gives you something of a discount in point terms - it's cheaper to buy a Company of Panzergrenadiers with their halftracks attached than it is to buy the Panzergrenadiers and Halftracks separately. I haven't played much with German Cavalry formations yet, so I wasn't aware that they came with 250/1 HTs rather than 251/1s. I guess you're stuck splitting up your squads if you need to transport them on your HTs, Jim. :(

An important note: The "transport capacity" number has to do with how much a vehicle can tow (as in towed guns), not how many soldiers it can carry. as 1stCav notes, ONLY vehicles marked with "(Full Squad)" in their info window can embark a full squad (or more - in CMBO, at least, Allied Halftracks can embark a full squad plus a 2-man unit like an arty spotter or IAT team. I haven't verified if this is true for CMBB as well, though). Other vehicles are limited to smaller infantry units like half squads, HQ units, AT teams, etc.

Cheers,

YD