Need Grog Knowledge 45mm vs 37mm

Need some help, I was playing an earily war battle BT7 vs 38t and I was suprised by how much better the 37mm is against armor than the 45mm, why is that? They have the same velocity and I would think the 45mm would be a bigger shell, What am I mssing. Thanks

I'm not sure of the penetration figures, but the BT has thinner armour than the 38t, and in 1941 the Russian 45mm AP ammo was apparently of low quality.

I think 37mm has bit too much penetration in CMBB, although alot of guns seem to have bit extra penetration power. (37mm has quite alot extra power...)

45mm M42 AT-gun is better than 37mm and 45mm M38 is slightly worse it seems like.

Busboy,

The game stats says "Large HE charge" with 45mm, so I take that as APHE.

APHE usually has worse penetration than solid AP, albeit having much greater after penetration effect.

I just wonder why russian 45mm and 76mm has 'large he charge', but not the german 37mm, 75mm or 88mm families.

Originally posted by Fishu:

The game stats says "Large HE charge" with 45mm, so I take that as APHE.

APHE usually has worse penetration than solid AP, albeit having much greater after penetration effect.

I just wonder why russian 45mm and 76mm has 'large he charge', but not the german 37mm, 75mm or 88mm families.

I'm pretty sure the "large HE charge" thing refers not to the AP shot but to the HE shell and refers to the fact that the Soviets used a more potent but more unstable type of high explosive, and thus kilogram for kilogram more explosive effect. But the cost was a greater likelihood of going off in a brew-up.

Michael

[ October 30, 2002, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

No - the HE comment refers to the HE content of an APHE shell - a larger or smaller HE filling affects teh post-penetration lethality of teh shell.

Penetration is not affected because it's already taken into account by the penetration figures published for that shell.