Editor Tip: Narrow Ridges

Been dinking with the editor making rather mountainous terrain (5m contour interval). One common feature I wanted was a spur ridge coming off the main massif with steep slopes and cliffs on both sides but with vehicles able to move up and down the ridgeline itself. IOW, sorta like a long, narrow ramp. But it couldn't be a straight shot, it had to snake around somewhat.

WHAT LED TO LEARNING:

I made the ridge in sections of the same basic design: a square of 4 tiles at the same elevation bordged on 2 sides by tiles 2 levels lower and continuing down steeply to the base ground level. The other 2 sides of the 4-tile squares butted against adjacent sections of the ridge, which were usually 1 level higher or lower than those adjacent. But I offset these 4-tile squares: if the ridge was running E-W, then say the lower right corner of 1 square would be in contact with the upper left corner of the next square, etc.

THE PROBLEM:

The incline between adjacent 4-tile squares wasn't 20m wide but was a knife-edge of passable ground with impassable slopes on both sides. And for some reason, the very top of this knife-edge, just before it reached the flat part of the next higher square, was also a slope. Thus vehicles couldn't move up or down the ridgeline.

SOLUTION: raise some of the tiles adjacent to the squares to be only 1 level lower instead of 2.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman