Cemeteries, no effects on cover, concealment, and movement?

Originally posted by Wassermann:

It was mentioned earlier in this forum, that all the doodads have no influence on the gameplay - there only reason is to improve the atmosphere..

Uwe B

While it's true that the doodads themselves don't effect cover/concealment, etc., it doesn't necessarily follow that the new terrain types (cemetary, rocky ground, etc.) don't have different values than open ground. I am fairly certain, for example, that rocky terrain increases an AFV's chance of bogging - whether you have doodads turned on or not smile.gif

Don't know the specific answer as to cemetaries though.

- Old Dog

Cemeteries are not mentioned in the manual at all, so probably have no effect.

Other terrain that is only visible with doodads ON, DO affect movement, spotting etc.. These are rocky terrain (vehicle passable rough, good cover), and steppes (enhanced brush/good concealment).

If you're not a doodadder, you won't see these features. Also, steppes can be used as high grass in non-steppe scenarios. You won't see the high grass without doodads on in conjunction with the very low views. It's modding time for me! smile.gif

Treeburst155 out.

I put the question to BTS before.

The answer was that doodads in themselves have no effect on gameplay.

However, the terrain types on which they appear, do.

So, if there's a special terrain tile for cemetery, you can expect it to have different cover and concealment values then open ground. In what way different ? I don't know.

Apparently,in the editor, steppes tiles (1570-1589) are not used, even when steppes tiles are placed. They do show up in the game however. I've yet to experiment with cemeteries and rocky yet, but maybe they are the same way. Yes, there are separate terrain tiles for cemeteries, rocky, and steppes.

EDIT: Very strange. Evidently mods don't show up in the editor until a game is launched. After that, mods show in the editor.

Treeburst155 out.

[ September 23, 2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Cemeteries and rocky terrain assume the underlying terrain bmp. IOW, no special bmp, therefore no ID of said terrain without doodads on.

With full coverage doodads, cemeteries can be spotted at view 5, rocky at view 4(barely), and steppes at view 2. Steppes have modifiable bmps however.

Doodads are essential for locating cemeteries and rocky terrain, unless you're going to range all over the map with the LOS tool.

Treeburst155 out.

[ September 23, 2002, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]