Cannot initialize 3D graphics! (Help)

After my first virus in 14 yrs. of computing, I've just scrubbed my Hard Drives to the bare metal, reformated, and am having the experience of realizing just how much stuff I had on there. Anyway, I've put CMBO back on and am getting the above msg. upon startup, after I try and select a screen configuration. To be exact, if I chose to 'skip' the first one, I get the msg. If I just wait I get the msg. If I pick the 640 X 480 first choice, the game loads, but runs badly. FWIW, everything ran fine before. I have however, changed to the new NVIDIA drivers during my reinstalling Windows, etc. I had read good things about the 44.03s here, and figured to put them on now. I have an AMD, Athon 2000+, GeoForce 4 Ti4200, 512 MEG ram. Any thoughts, suggestions??

Thanks

Ray Hudson

Oh Oh! I had something similar happen to me recently. Run DXDiag (I think it's around windows\system, but run "find" to make sure) , open the video tab and run the Direct3D and Hardware Accleration tests. It will probably go through the Direct3D test OK but will bomb during the hardware tests, telling you that there is no memory and such. Here is the important part:

1) Disable both of these buttons - shut down the computer

2) Re-enable both of these buttons - immediately shut down the computer

3) Run the tests again - feel good if you see a 3d cube rolling around during the hardware tests!

No guarantee - but this worked for me.

That's quite a nasty problem, and I was surprised at how many emails there were out there about it. THe DXDiag messages led me to suspect a hardware problem. I removed the troublesome card and I put in an old Geforce card which worked perfecty, but when I put back my Ti-4200 the problem returned. I sent the card to the manufacture and they told me there was nothing wrong with it about 3 days later. Luckily I could use the old card in the meantime, and did some research.

There also an article with about 10 poosible fixes on M$ Technet, but try this one first. Since I was at work when I sent my previous message, to clarify, the 2 things to look at under "Video" are

1) DirectDraw

2) Direct 3D

You would see the errors when running the Direct 3D tests. Good luck!

Regards

Yep, I had a Direct X problem. I'd forgotten that during the reinstall of everything I'd also upgraded to Direct X 9. Evidently DirectX 9 and the new NVIDIA drivers didn't get along, or, something went wrong during the install. At any rate, I reinstalled the earlier NVIDIA drivers, and now I can play again. I'll take some time later to carefully try the 44.03 drivers again and see if I can get them and DirectX to get along. Thanks to all for the help.

Ray