Newbie question

Hi,

I know that these are probably stupid questions, but I did a search and didn't find anything so here goes. A few days ago I downloaded the CMBO demo,(the full game will be on the way soon) I've been playing it and figured out alot of things but a couple that I have not are; In "Valley of trouble" when playing as the germans how do you use the "target reference point"? and now for the really dumb one, when all you can see on the map is a star representing the US troops does this mean they are hiding, or what? Thanks for any help

Target reference points simulate the ability of defenders register their artillery fire before the battle. Thus, it allows the defender to call down artillery fire more quickly and more accurately. Defending mortars can also fire at TRPs, even if they don't have line of sight, so long as they haven't moved from their set-up positions. Finally, TRPs increase the accuracy of anti-tank guns. It's been a looong time since I've played Valley of Trouble, but what all this means to you is that you can use the TRP to increase the accuracy of your bunkered 75 mm ATG or to increase the accuracy of your indirect mortars. I forget if the Germans get artillery in that scenario. Anyway, choose where you think it will do the most damage (doesn't have to be in your setup zone) and go to it.

The star, or cross for the Germans, indicates the last known position of a unit that you have lost sight of.

Right, basically the star means your guys can't see the unit clearly, but stars pop up for a varitey of reasons.

It's possible the unit, if in good cover, has gone into hide mode and isn't far from the star. (The AI is more likely to do this than a human opponent).

More likely, especially if you've fired on the unit, the unit has withdrawn back deeper into cover and is seeking a better approach route outside of your LOSs (Lines of sight). If your opponent is good, you won't see the unit again until he's halfway closer to your position.

Another possibility is that your unit(s) that had LOS either moved to another position outside of LOS--or even worse--panicked or have been killed. Any of those three means you no longer have LOS and that's why the Americans have turned into a star.

Try flushing out the unit by putting some area fire on the star. If the unit is still near the star, that might get him moving and better spotted.

[ November 20, 2002, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Alsatian ]

I've played CMBO for over two years and I didn't know that TRPs increase the accuracy of anti-tank guns. Is that true? I know that it does for artillery and mortars like Dook wrote but I don't remember reading or hearing about anti-tank guns. Maybe I learned something today about CMBO. Can anyone else enlighten on this subject?

Alsatian is right about the 'star' showing up in Valley of Trouble. Consider it the last known sighting of an enemy's unit and that the unit (either armor and infantry) may have moved off out of sight or it remains hidden close by.

[ November 25, 2002, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

From page 96 of the CMBO manual, the version after the 1.12 patch that is:

"Other on-map ordnance, like antitank guns, can use TRPs as well. When firing at enemy units on or very near a TRP, they gain a considerable accuracy bonus because they are considered to have "boresighted" or "ranged" their weapons to the TRP before the battle."

Presumably that applies only if the AT gun hasn't moved. Unlike CMBB, CMBO won't actually give the 'boresight' label, though.

Oh yes, TRPs increase ATG accuracy. Figure maybe if you're getting 10% on your typical 1st shot, you'll get 40-50% when the enemy AFV is near the TRP- same range radius as it is for Spotters to get the TRP bonus. I immediately tested this out w/ an 88mm FlaK in CMBO, since it is the offical poster boy for "too-low accuracy in CMBO" compared to most historial accounts. I still couldn't kill a thin Churchill w/ it at 300m (damned oblique angle), but I was hitting it a lot!