Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

tmp

I'm a newbie to CM and I'm having a problem with the retail version bieng sold in Europe. When I try to start the game, it doesn`t start (just shows the introduction screen to me)and displays the message

"CM caused an error in ñDF394B.TMP. CM will close. The problem could be solved if you restart the computer"

NOTE: the "ñ" appears witout the "n", just the symbol above it. I'm spanish and I don´t know how to write from my spanish keyboard.

When I restsrt the computer, the problem hasn´t disappeared. The only way to solve it (though not a very nice one) is to start the setup and repair the program, but it just works as long as you don´t close the computer.

Could anyone help me?. Thanks in advance.

Sorry. I forgot my system specs:

WinME.

Via VT82C692BX.

P II 600 Mh

256Mb 133 RAM

ATI All in Wonder 128 32 MB (Drivers v.13-7192).

SB-Live (Drivers: LiveWare3).

Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical (Intellimouse 4.0)

DX8.1

Modem 56.6

Desktop resolution 1024x768x32

Using the Explorer file manager go to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP and delete all of the files there. You may want to close down any running applications (which may be using temporary files).

I'd also suggest running a Scandisk to check your file system for any possible problems.

Once this is done reboot and see if CMBO will install.

Hi Schrullenhaft:

Thanks for your quick answer. I've already done what you suggest. I've run a scandisk with no problem reported. I've also deleted all the content in the windows\temp folder. But i've noticed that when I run CM a temp archive appears in the temp folder (it also happens with Word and Excel, that when closing tells that i have a problem with VBE6.DLL). I don´t know if this is related with the CM problem or not. And the temp archive wich causes the problem is always the same. I run other games without problems (mostly wargames like Normandy, COW etc.) and Word and Excel also start fine.

Delete all subdirectories in your Windows Temp directory too. Check your Registry for any CDV or Combat Mission enteries. Delete them, unless you have another CDV game.

You may want to delete your Windows TEMP directory and recreate it.

I'm not familiar with CDV's installer. I assume that it is the standard Windows installer and not a unique one. There was an issue in the past (with the internet version) where an install would not perform until some registry editing was done. Whether this was a previous install that went bad or some other program using the same installer, I can't remember.

I'd guess that your Word/Excel temp problem is probably related to the CM install problem. It would seem that something is interfering with writes to your hard drive. Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and close any unnecessary services/programs that are running. Leave at least Explorer and Systray running, but I'd suggest closing everything else.

Have you installed any of the VIA chipset/IDE drivers ? You can get the 4.38 version here.