How do I avoid the "Angels in the sky"?

Hello, all!

Ok, im currently playing an operation called 21st.Panzer Attacks (Great OP, by the way, thanks Gerhard S.Blake!) and I know that the enemy may have airsupport. Up until now I've been pretty safe thanks to the overcast weather, but the skies is clearing and Im becoming a little nervous about those Flyboys that may or may not show up to kill my dear tanks.

So how do I setup to minimize the chanses of them spotting, killing my tanks? Will it help if i try hiding them in scattered trees?

The only AA defense is one 20mm cannon, how do I deploy it best? Near the tanks? confused.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks guys!

I believe it will indeed help to be hidden in scattered trees. Ravine-like landscape can also offer some protection (from two directions, anyway).

It certainly doesn't hurt that jabos are dicey at best. They fail to show up often and also suffer from target misidentification quite frequently.

Other than that, there's hope. If they arrive and decide to pick on your tanks, chances are you're gonna lose something. If you have any AA assets, this will help deter enemy fighters from returning. If you have nothing that can poke back at them, however, they may just stick around for quite some time and bomb the hell outta ya.

Hope this helps a little.

Clubfoot.

In the same general area as your tanks, in scattered trees, and out of sight of any of the enemy (i.e. behind a hill or woods) is a good spot for your AA gun. My 20mm made it through that op until the last battle, when I lost it to artillery fire. The Jabo had earlier attacked my tanks twice - both times it had been fired on by the 20mm gun, and hadn't hit anything with its bombs and rockets.

The other thing that you can do is listen out for the sound of a plane, which indicates that it's going to attack next turn (just like watching for spotter rounds that signal an impending artillery barrage). When this happens, get all your tanks under cover to make them harder to spot. You might also want to increase their separation, and button them up, to avoid tank commander casualties from near-misses. Finally, bear in mind that the aircraft will drop bombs/fire rockets along a straight flight path - so don't have all your tanks in a nice line, or you might get real unlucky and lose them all!

Oh, and the Jabo is the least of your worries in that operation - there are some mighty big guns in your future smile.gif