Company HQ command

I'm throwing these two up in the air to hear if anyone has comments on it. Probably discussed before, but I couldn't get a detailed enough search.

Shouldn't the Company HQ control Platoon HQs instead of individual squads? Command radius 3-400 meters(?)

Shouldn't there be a limit on how many squads any HQ can control? Is it realistic that a Company HQ are in charge of 8-10 squads and still have control of what every platoon is and should be doing?

In response to the first part of your question, a CO HQ could very well not only tell a platoon leader what to do, but also tell him how to do it, i.e. give orders that filter down to the individual squads. Also, CO HQs only take charge of squads that are outside of the command radius of their immediate HQ. Officers work their way up in rank, not down, so a Captain ought to be expected to know how to lead a platoon and so on.

As for the second part of the question, you have a good point, but to me anyway since the Command Delay system is already an abstraction, I don't think it makes much sense to argue to elaborate how it works for the sake of 'realism'. It's like elaborating an astronomical system based on planetary orbits being circles. It works fine for our needs, which are to have a playable game. But if true realism were the goal it would have to be built upon completely different principles. To make a game like that would require a think tank and it wouldn't run on home computers.

Regarding my first point. I wasn't complaining that Company HQ controls squads. It's more that there's no penalty for the player if the Company HQ is eliminated, just as any other squad. Basically, I want every squad to suffer if they loose their company HQ. My suggestion was an example of how to do that, by reducing some of the Platoon HQ abilities.

Edit: Or to put it another way, maybe the Platoon HQ should get some bonus if they're close to the Company HQ? In CMBO there's no interwork at all between different HQs. Just like each squad draws a line to a HQ also the HQs should draw a line to higher HQs and thereby boosting their abilities. (No, I'm not just talking about the graphics.)

[ June 28, 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Visom ]