Walk in Paris

there's really 2 ways:

1) side shots

3) rear shots

You have to take side shots on Panthers (unless you feel really lucky). There at least a couple of ways to get them:

-You can race 2-3 tanks up the road and send them on either side of the Panther.

-You can have tanks creep forward, fire, and reverse (all in one turn) and try to time them so that the Panther will be rotated to one as your second tank appears and the first tank reverses out of LOS.

When racing tanks up the road, make sure you have a good idea what other German tanks are around. A smart opponent (with enough tanks) will have a second one positioned where you can't see it but where it can cover the side/rear of the front one. As for plotting the move, I like to do a long string of "fast" with a short "hunt" when I get close to the target, and then some more "fast" to loop around and get away. You have to plot enough lines to get in and out without having to replot so you can avoid command delay. Frequently you'll lose one of the tanks, but you can learn to trade 1 tank of yours for two enemy (even against heavy tanks) with some practice (and luck).

One other thing that I forgot-- when racing tanks, try to stay out of LOS of the victim as long as possible, and move in such a way that doesn't cross the LOF of the enemy tank but forces it to rotate its slower turret to follow.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 08-25-2000).]

There's a bigger problem here, one which makes tank combat initially really frustrating: lack of understanding of the vehicle info page. When I was a newbie, those numbers scared me, and I sort of ignored them.

The trick here is to match the "penetration" values at the bottom, with "Armor Thickness" values at the top. The key to notice here is how the armor thicknesses change as you move around the tank. Almost without fail, the top front of a tank is the most protected, with the rear back being the least, and everything else somewhere in between. As a result, you can penetrate from much further distances (if you're using AP shells, C shells don't lose penetration over distance), or you can penetrate much deeper if you're close. For the record, those angles are, I believe, angle from perpandicular to a given side. So if it says 60 degrees, it means that you're at a 60 degree angle with a line perpandicular to the tanks side. Sorta complicated, but it boils down to this: you want to be perpandicular to a tank's armor to get the best penetration.

There are occasions when some tanks are just useless against others, which is probably what you're seeing. If the penetration values are lower than the thickness, no matter where you hit the tank, the shell is going to ricochet, or break up, or something like that. With a couple of exceptions, no amount of luck will change this. Solution? Don't engage head on. While ducking forward and back is nice, it assumes that you can actually penetrate the armor, and it's just a matter of getting a hit in, or keeping your tanks alive. If you can't penetrate, work a tank in on the side, it'll make your life MUCH easier.

In the case of Paris, your life is rather hard. The German tanks have a rather commanding view of that main avenue, and the Sherman's frontal armor just can't stand up to what the German's have to throw at it. I recommend working your tanks on the far (north? I forget...) side, up as fast as possible. I also recommend getting a couple of tanks into the middle area, you might be able to get better LOS on tanks on either of the side avenues from there, as well as great LOS on the buildings on the side of that main avenue.

Good Luck!

------------------

Cross over the cell bars, find a new maze, make the maze from its path, find the cell bars, cross over the bars, find a maze, make the maze from its path, eat the food, eat the path.

[This message has been edited by Grendel (edited 08-27-2000).]

Just to add; get flank & or rear shots they work best. Also the 76mm Shermans can kill Panthers frontaly @ 500ms + with standard M79 APCBC (75mm Shermans can do it @ 300ms +) with a front turret penetration, its rare so dont count on it occuring alot smile.gif, and seems to occur more when faceing Vet Shermans.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-29-2000).]