Urban Tactics on the Attack in Stalingrad

Well, I've started cycling through SP pack and did the The Library (as Axis against the AI version).

Got a draw, though I did manage to "rescue" a few of the cut-off Recon troops. A nice scenario to cut your teeth on.

Some things I have learned about making attacks in chaos of Stalingrad streets:

--With infantry, command cohesion is even MORE critical than in "standard" scenarios. Keep those platoons organized and together!!

--Bounding and overwatch are critical. Get your spearheads forward, hide, and then move the next ranks along, Keep your HQs behind and in command control by the time the next bound is due.

--There is NO excuse for not using cover on the advance -- craters, partial building walls, etc. But weave in and out using the small patches of open ground between the craters and buildings.

--Advance...and hide. Advance...and hide.

--The temptation is to use the "steathier" Pioneer troops on the spearhead. NO! Keep them, and their VERY valuable satchel charges/molotovs, in quasi-reserve. Use your regular infantry on point, and then bring up the Pioneers to demolish strongpoints -- or that nasty Heavy Tank or SP Gun that ALWAYS seems to pop up when you least expect it. And, yes, you CAN keep your flamethrowers alive and get them into the fight; remember, you can bring them under command of other HQs.

--Keep in mind that this is the city, and there is no front line, and the enemy is everywhere. As a result, your objective is uppermost. It's easy to get sidetracked by the odd squad or LMG nest that somehow pops up behind you. Ignore them, and move to your objective AHEAD.

--If you can avoid the rubble on the advance, and still be defilade/or in cover as you move forward, avoid it. It will slow you down. But, of course, do use it if it gives you a favorable approach, or a good LOS/field of fire, or a good flanking position.

--Remember, it's a PILE of rubble. As a result, you may be defilade to the other side of the pile. This can be very advantageous for advancing infantry, but not so good for your supporting armor, as it may COMPLETELY bloc LOS. I found out this the HARD way, as I moved an AFV around a corner in an effort to engage a squad on the other side of the rubble, which had pinned down one of MY squads, only to find he couldn't shoot past the pile.

--Look real close at the spaces between buildings; often you will find enough open ground for faster infantry advances, with walls on either side for cover, AND a path for your AFV's to slice through and outflank defensive positions.

--Scope out the second floors for you HMGs; if you have no clear fields of fire to your objectives, get them moving forward on the first turn into buildings that WILL. I would bet most scenario designers start with the HMGs on a second floor, in the proper historical fashion, but it may be the WRONG second floor. As a result, one of your main objectives will be to OWN that further-on multi-story building WITH the field of fire you will need, and own that building EARLY in the battle. You need to get your infantry to win it, even if the victory flag is 150 meters away (a HUGE distance in the ruins).

--Close coordination between infantry and AFV's are critical. Infantry on the advance, but follow up VERY close with your AFV's. A properly positioned KV or SP gun, with some good infantry support nearby, can REALLY be difficult to dislodge.

Anyway, some of this stuff is basic, but some is not. Hope it's helpful

Originally posted by wwb_99:

1) I, WWB, for the record, am not Wild Bill Wilder.

2) Its an operation, and was released in teh 2nd pak, and only works with 1.01.

WWB

Ooops!!! Apologies. You're Wyatt, of course.

OPs may be a bit too much right now, but I will try it at some point.

Another trick -- never assault a building, or provide covering fire for that matter, from a single direction. Soviet troops were trained to take a structure from under fire from at least 3 sides (at least according to an article I read). That may not be possible in all circumstances, but assaulting a building while covering fire has been laid on from multiple angles has worked nicely so far. And if ya can't see anything, use area fire.