Suggestion for Operations

Guest Scott Clinton

Guest Scott Clinton

For anyone designing operations:

I have found myself in several operations where I was supposed to attack and reach a certain point in a certain amout of time wondering exacly how far my goal was.

In reality I would have a map and at least a fair idea of the milage, etc. And I would thus be able to keep an eye on my progress and tell if I was going too slow and needed to speed up or had time to take it slow and safe.

PLEASE if at all possible post the distance to the final goal for the operation on attacks and advances (at least an estimate).

An example is the Carenten (sp) operation...how far is it away from my jump-off point?? I have maps of the area (outside of CM) but I have no idea how close they are to the maps in the operation.

Am I making sense here? smile.gif

And for God's Sake, this is not any sort of attack on anyone!

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Scott Clinton

Well the "Road to Moratain" is the only other one I am playing.

I know it is a race agains time...but how long is the damn 'course'? wink.gif

I mean how far is it to releive the surrouned troops? 1,500 yrds...3,000 yards...4,500 yards.

I mean if I make it to the end of the first map...how much farther do I have to go?

It is hard to judge how fast is fast enought when you don't know the distance you must travel in X number of battles.

The same goes for the "Careten" operation. I am supposed to take the city...but how far is it from my jump off point?

Understand?

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

In the ones I have done you can see the entire map, but there are some that are longer than that, muuuch longer.

There was discussion about whether the player should be allowed to view the entire map, but I can't remember the result of it.

Some other designer/tester might be able to help us here.

I'll go back to the game and see if this is true or not.

Question, the further you go, do you have more new map revealed that you have not seen before?

And it depends on the operation setup too. If the missio is to destroy, that is one thing. If it is to advance, then yes, you must reach the other end of the map.

But what you want to know is how far is that far? Good suggestion. For those loooong maps that would be a good inclusion in the future.

Secretary, make a note of that biggrin.gif

WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

For anyone designing operations:

I have found myself in several operations where I was supposed to attack and reach a certain point in a certain amout of time wondering exacly how far my goal was.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a good point. The converse is also true. If I am playing the defense on an 'advance' operation, how far can I fall back before the op is over?

Am I making sense here? smile.gif

Not a bad idea, although I personally never felt this was necessary. The maximum distance you can go in one battle is the whole length of the map. That should be your goal in an advance type operation.

But I agree, simply mentioning the rough distance to the objective is easy, doesn't hurt anybody and makes sense. Will comply smile.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

Whew...I thought I might be 'losing it'. wink.gif

I have to admit my main reason is because I tend to play these types of scenarios very conservative...

For example I just finished the first battle of the Caretean Operation with ZERO loses and I never saw a single German. BUT, I took the first objective. wink.gif I am beginning to wonder where the Hell the AI is though... confused.gif

------------------

I ran into the same problem while playing Drive to Mortain. I was getting worried that I wasn't making enough progress! An excellent URL about the real Mortain battle, which includes a relief map of the area under Photographs, can be found at http://737thtankbattalion.org/Mortain/index.htm. There's a decent map of the Carentan area at http://www.region-normande.com/musee/region3/pme3.htm and a clickable map of all of Normandy at http://gofrance.about.com/travel/gofrance/gi /dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.normandy-tourism.org/gb/02ville/0map/ndymap.html.

As it turned out, I won Drive to Mortain once I reached Clairet. I haven't tried Carentan yet, though.

I also noticed that the AI's deployment was spotty after the first battle. For instance, in the third battle, it placed an entire SS company, the bulk of its force, in a forest well off any sensible axis of advance. I didn't even realize that they were there until the operation ended.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Weaver (edited 06-30-2000).]