Arty: Less Accurate Now? Whos the King?

I have played CMBB for about three days now. Yes, I am a veteran of CM: Operation Overlord but I didnt buy CMBB for very complicated reasons. Something to do with girlfriend wanting jewlery over CMBB for christmas. Well I promptly dumped her and bought CMBB. I have no one to keep me warm at night except my laptop, which gets damn warm!!! (if you know what I mean) Anyway I tried some 120mm mortar observers and their rate of fire was terrible and they were very inaccurate, all vets and clean line of site. In fact I was only firing 100meters infront of them. It seems to me that arty is no longer the king of the battlefield, rather machine guns and tanks. Your thoughts ont he matter? tongue.gif

To get the most out of OB morter-fire I suggest using the command that allows you to set the timing for the OB FFE for any turn of the game. The disadvantage is the inflexability of doing so, but they are spot-on when it comes to accuracy. Lately, while I am on offense, I have been using 120mm OB morters to deny terrain to my opponents, thus securing flanks for armor/infantry assaults.

Mortars are usually inaccurate, much more so than normal arty. I'd say that large-caliber spotters with TRPs still dominate.
Planned fire works well too, particular for the Russians, whose delays vary from bad to atrocious. In a current game, I've given a (German) 150 mm spotter an order that amounts to "obliterate that farm." And he's well on his way after twelve shells fired. You basically get a pseudo-TRP when you use planned fire.

The only problem with planned fire is that it requires, well, PLANNING. And you don't necessarily know that the enemy is going to oblige you by being there (although you can often guess), unless you got lucky enough to spot them before turn 1.