Home Brew: Barragstein -- Chaos Bridge

Guest grunto

Guest grunto

i was posting over on another thread regarding the hummel and designed a scenario 'around one' after receiving the game yesterday.

it has two hills n/s astride a highway running east/west. the americans have occupied a town on the west edge and have two bridgeheads.

the hills are so dominating that the americans must capture them both in order to 'clear the highway.'

the germans want the Barragstein and its bridges back because they still have units trapped on the other side!

so what started out as '3 hummel, 5 wespe, 15 stuart... blah blah blah didn't end up as that.

i'm running a pentium 166 mmx and figured that in case there are other people out there running these older machines, that i would need to tone down the number of units and vehicles.

both sides were over 5000 points in forces on a 1600x1600 meter map at first. after that it was 1200 meters, and finally the default 800 meters, and the forces are both under 3000 now i believe.

it opens up with 2 m5a1, 4 m8 grehounds, some jeeps, m3 halftracks and infantry (2 platoon hq, 1 squad, 1 'm1917')

also there are 3 81mm FOs with 200 rounds each. the ealier idea for massed 155s was nixed. 81s will allow the amis to bring quick fire throughout most of the 60-turn encounter but it shouldn't be devestating.

the germans have 20mm, 37mm aa, 50mm at, puma, 2 x psw 234/1, marder, and a security platoon at the start.

as the game goes along reinforcements arrive all over the map edges, especially for the germans. by turn 10 both sides have received several batches of reinforcements so there are ample afvs to go around. the infantry is not plentiful so must be used carefully.

so anyhow one of the german reinforcement groups is a wespe, a hummel, a 37mm aa haltrack and a quad 20mm aa halftrack.

man those aa halftracks go to town on m8 greyhounds.

i've played it through the tweaks and it is a confusing, fast-paced scenario. as amis you're hard pressed not to get caught in crossfires because of the german reinforcements arriving at various angles.

yes at some point there are stragglers coming up 'your side' of the river.

this is a very tough battle for either side.

there is a panther, a sherman jumbo, pz4, stugs of various types, whirblewind, hetzer... yes all of these make an appearance in this 'no holds barred' scenario.

originally entitled, 'recon confusion' or 'recon lightning,' the battle always at one point or another seems to focus in on the one heavy stone bridge on the highway so it's now called, CHAOS BRIDGE.

andy