Any port after a storm - mini-AAR and Kudos ---SPOILERS---

I just finished the third battle of this mini-campaign by Patrick Ware, and let me tell you guys and gals, it is a real treat!

For those who haven't played it, it comprises company-size (with attachments) battles in the Cotentin peninsula, on the road to Cherbourg. If you are interested in this sort of combat, in which BTW CM excels, do give it a try! Especially for newbies, this pack is an excellent training ground, as you need to use all book tactics to succeed. Challenging AI and great, great playability. Patrick, thanks for this gem of a pack!

Now to the mini-AAR. SPOILERS ahead...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Last night I played the third battle of the pack. The mission involves crossing a ravine and open terrain to assault a town and finally an 88 pillbox atop Hill 148, in terrible weather. A mined bridge spans the ravine, which must be cleared for following troops and armour to pass through.

You have a full US company with a MG platoon, a platoon of engineers, 2 Priests and a mortar HT. What I find interesting, is that in Patrick's design, each platoon has at least one regular and at least a green squad, which makes selecting the right squad to assault or recon a must. A great concept, as in all honesty, I find full veteran platoons a tad ahistorical, because of casualties and replacements...

Key elements of my plan:

- 60mm Mortars need to be clustered out of sight and the spotting HQ hidden but viewing as much of the battlefield as possible. Without proper mortar placement for suppression one might as well forget about it.

- MGs to be placed left and right with long FOFs and the HMG to be placed in the middle. MGs are super-necessary to pin enemy units.

- One platoon attacks from the left, pausing in the ravine to catch its breath. The town is shielded by a small hill, so crossfires are minimised. Another platoon starts from the far right, walking inside the ravine towards the middle, until a depression that connects with the brush terrain, where it comes out an runs for the brush. I expect this platoon to act as a diversion, and to sustain casualties, as brush terrain offers no cover and the town strongpoint can see the assault path. One platoon stays in reserve.

- The engineers are kept back to clear the bridge and assault the town from the front.

- All vehicles are to be kept strictly out of sight in the middle depression until the 88 is out of order, as it can shred them to pieces in an instant.

T+0: The 2 assault platoons start simultaneously, under cover from the MGs and make it to the ravine with almost no casualties. The HMG slowly takes its place by the road.

T+3: The left platoon encounters an enemy platoon dug in on the hillside. Pinpoint mortar fire allows attacking the enemy squad by squad, exploiting woods terrain to avoid crossfires. The right platoon continues walking the ravine to the assault point.

T+7: The left platoon dispatches 2 squads, but comes under HMG fire from the hilltop. MGs deliver covering fire. The right platoon encounters strong fire from the 88, the town and half a platoon, and is held back. Thank God I sent just a half squad first.

T+13: The position has consolidated on the left, and the (half-depleted) platoon is enveloping right towards the town. Contact with a second platoon is made. The right platoon is pinned in the brush by a HMG and elements of an enemy platoon, spread out to avoid murderous 88 fire. Smoke is employed against the pillbox. Mortars are absolute gold, but must be kept in check because of ammo considerations. The HMG and MGs take all the suppression load. 2 engineers squads and the HQ prepare to assault by running towards the ravine, while the third (green) is kept back to clear the bridge from the mines. The flamethrowers are kept back as they are too slow to survive an assault. They probably won't be used at all.

T+17: Assault of the town commences simulataneously from elements of the right platoon and the 2 engineer squads, while the left platoon, MGs and mortars provide covering fire. Defenders are overwhelmed, and the town is finally taken by the engineers after fierce battle. What a killer this enemy HMG on the top of the hill is...

T+21: The left platoon consolidates (low ammo status), while all but the green squad of the right platoon make it to safety in the town. The green squad will be combat ineffective until the end, as it is broken repeatedly. The green engineer squad repeatedly tries to clear the mines under Coy command, but the 88 hits it every time. One mine is cleared, the other remains.

T+24: The engineers envelop from the left with a view to hit the pillbox from the left and behind, under cover by the left platoon. The right platoon stays in the town as a reserve, while the reserved and fresh 3rd platoon is committed and runs to the town, with a mission to mop up all infantry remains on the hill side.

T+27: The engineers encounter resistance from an enemy platoon guarding the pillbox. There is no way but forward now! The MGs and mortars are completely squeezed out of ammo to help the engineers. The 3rd platoon continues mopping towards the top. The right platoon takes defence positions in the town. The green engineer platoon is constantly fighting HE while trying to clear the bridge.

T+29: The engineers have dispatched the HMG and an enemy squad but are still in danger. Their HQ is eliminated, and while one squad provides covering fire, the other runs to the pillbox from behind, and tosses the first satchel... No joy! The second and last satchel flies... Success!!! The pillbox is no more!

T+30: A Sherman platoon arrives. The Priests and mortar are employed fast to help with enemy survivors. The bridge is cleared, well done the engineers! The 3rd platton continues mopping uphil.

T+32: Enemy Stugs show up. Darn! The M4 platoon is plit in two, the first section parking this side of the bridge to deal with the Stugs, while the other 2 make it to the town to defend it. A zook is eliminated as it tries to close the enemy for a kill. The engineers and the 3rd platoon finally hold Hill 148!!!

T+35: One Stug receives fire by the 2 defending Shermans and is killed, while one of the rushing M4s bogs down in open ground! The soft vehicles reverse to safety.

End: Major Victory for the allies. The remaining Stug does not come out, and overall the enemy is broken and panicked! Well done troops! Commendations for the MGs and the mortars that made it all possible! Three cheers for the engineers!!!

Despite the major victory, it was a close call, as wrong timing during assault could have destroyed my force. I believe that it was right to practically not use the soft vehicles at all, as they wouldn't have stood a chance. Wish I had a bit more smoke though... On the other hand, thank God the Germans had no arty, as losing my MGs would have lost the battle.

Thanks for the battle Patrick. Apologies for the long post, but it was one of those experiences, where a solid plan well executed brings sheer joy. I'm sure you know the feeling... smile.gif

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 01-21-2001).]

Well done, Coralsaw. Achieving a Major Victory in the face of the cumulative conditions present in Scenario #3 of "Any Port..." is indeed a feat in and of itself.

While designing the individual missions within each of my mini-campaign offerings, I made an attempt to envisage the variety of tactics that might be employed by CM players in an effort to incorporate as much challenge and playability into the battles as I am personally capable of. However, you came up with a variation on a theme that is quite unique and then executed the plan extremely well. Congratulations are in order. I can see why morale in the 314th is very high after such a rewarding engagement!

Keep up the good work, Captain and keep your men on their collective toes. The road to Cherbourg harbor is still strewn with challenges.

Thank you for the kind sentiments, as well. I'm glad that your experience with this particular mission was such an enjoyable one. Good luck with the rest of the campaign.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I must also throw my $0.02 in and say that your mini campaigns are excellent! I've been playing the No Rest for the Weary campaign, and I've been pleasantly surprised by each successive scenario.

The briefings are very well written, providing great background information and do an excellent job of setting the mood for each scenario. I'm currently on #6. I played #5 last night and I couldn't make myself stop! smile.gif I ended up sleeping at 3am.

Thanks to your scenarios, I've been challenged by the AI like never before. I'm looking forward to finishing the campaign and starting Any Port in a Storm. Thanks again and keep up the great work!! smile.gif

*SPOILERS*

[

]

[

]

[

]

[

]

[

]

[

]

[

]

[

]

My favorite so far is #5 where a reinforced company defends a town against a large German motorized assault force. To say it was challenging would be an extreme understatment.

With only 1 FO, I had to plan my arty strikes with extreme precision and perfect timing to avoid wasting a single shell.

Same with the use of the AT guns. It took all my will power and patience to wait for the perfect moment to bag the panther. The first time I played it, I opened up with the gun I hid in the woods on the right. I did bag the panther and 2 MkIV's, but immediately all the Stug's and HT's.

Originally posted by Scepter:

However, you came up with a variation on a theme that is quite unique and then executed the plan extremely well.

I would be interested to know what tactics you have encountered in the particular battle. Especially in regards to the vehicles, which I hardly used. To me, this was the only high success-probability tactic, as assaulting just from the left side would probably play against a well-placed defence. I never thought that the right side would be heavily defended, due to the improbability of attacking there as the terrain is quite open.

Thank you for the kind sentiments, as well.

Not at all. I spent just 10sec typing thank you. You probably spent tens of hours making the campaign. If people gave more positive and negative feedback, then we'd have more and more enjoyable scenarios to play. smile.gif

Regards

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

Where can i find these obviously very interesting and challenging campaigns???

I can send them to you if you want, as I have sent them out 5 or 6 times by now and have the .zip files ready to go in my email folder.

Email me at the address in my profile. You Won't regret it. They are great.

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 01-23-2001).]

Also wanted to say how much I am enjoying these mini-campaigns. Completed #3 as well and thought it was one of the best scenarios I have played yet. Completed #4 (Germans must escape from Brix through 314th Regiment at night) yesterday but cannot figure out how the scenario is scored. As far as I could tell from the AAR no Germans had exited the map (it would say so no?) and I had pretty much decimated their forces, but only came away with a draw. Anyway looking forward to #5!.

I finished number 3 last night and scored a major victory as well. I had 13 KIA out of 53 casualties.

__Spoiler___

My tactics were a little different than Mr. Saw above, cause I figured out how to use the m7 priest to good effect. I took three platoons running straight up the middle, which is the shortest route to the depression that bisects the map. Then, the mgs and mortars moved into overwatch positions back at the starting point, under cover. They proved useful in the fighting that followed.

My three platoons scuttled sideways to the left side of the map and then charged into the woods there.

Took some casualties from the german platoons entrenched there, but by then, I had figured --using smoke from the mortar carrier and the other M7 out how to get one M7 into a spot behind some woods where the pillbox 88 could not hit it, but the M7 could shoot its gun at the defending troops in the treeline.

Which it did to great effect, stopping them from coming to the aid of their left flank.

My 3 platoons laid down a base of fire and leaped frog up the hill, arriving at the top and knocking out the pillbox on around turn 28. The two HMGs on top the hill were handled very roughly by the M7 and the Garands of my sqads, and killed nobody.

With the 88 out of the way, the engineers swarmed forward, and took out the mines on the bridge. They were backed up by the arriving sherman tanks and both M7, who suppressed and destroyed much the remaining enemy by the village.

When the two stugs arrived, three zooks from were there, and knocked them both out at distances of about 100 meters.

That was pretty much it. A hell of an interesting fight, with some tough moments, and not easy at all totally engrossing from start to finish. Those stugs were a real shocker.

Patrick!! Make us some more please!!!

albest,

Terence

saw my friend--

It was a total guess, and until it actually paid off, I was sure I was going to lose the Priest. There is an upside down Y -shaped road junction in the startup area that looks sort of like this:

|

/\

Perhaps you remember it. Now, where the x is in the following illustration is a small patch of scattered trees that is much deeper than it is tall

|x

/\

if you park the M7 behind the woods on the road, it can shoot at the entire right flank and much of the hilltop.

Now, getting to that spot is tricky, cause of the danger of bogging, and the danger of the 88 blasting you to bits if it sees you.

But if you use smoke, which the mortar carrier and both M7s have in abundance, you can create a special bulletproof BTS smokescreen and motor up the small rise and reverse behind the woods to put yourself in the right fork of the inverted-Y, behind the trees, where the 88 can't see you.

Then you can blast the crap out of anything you see -- once the smoke clears. Just don't move much forward or backward while the 88 still lives.

I think I would have probably made it without the Priest, but I took far fewer casualties with its help.

Saw, My Friend,

If I were smart enough to post a screen shot, I'd do it, but alas I am not.

I can't think of another way to describe its location, other than to say that is only about 150 meters from where the Priests and mortar carriers actually begin the game. Look for the patch of scattered trees near the road junction by your setup area.

Patrick, are you listening?!?!? Am I crazy???

Originally posted by coralsaw:

Ah, got it.

Excellent. if it works for you, you'll find that you are really able to reach out and touch the many german positions from there, and the only weapon they have that has a chance of killing you is out of LOS. Its a pretty nice spot to be in.

I only suggest it cause it made life much easier for me. Of course, you won a major victory without it, so, my hat is off to you.

[This message has been edited by Terence (edited 01-31-2001).]

*SPOILER ALERT!*

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

Regarding the 88mm pillbox scenario:

After reading the aar's on this thread, I wonder if I had mistakenly let the computer place its forces freely. I had no contact with the enemy until my forces were on the hilltop. This is the approach that I took:

I left the m7 and m60 HT on the left in their original spots, later advancing the m7 to a hull down position in a depression. The other m7 took a hull down position in a depression on the right. All had los to the hilltop.

The weapons platoon took a position in the clump of trees to the right of the road. 2 platoons on the extreme right advancing towards the brush via using the depressions for cover. 3rd platoon in reserve. Engineer platoon deployed to the left of the road.

The Engineers snuck into a position next to the bridge. The vet squad snuck in and took out the first mine field. Then the rest of the platoon advanced down to the riverbed.

The platoons on the right reached the brush and then moved on to capture the town with no incident. Engineers continued to advance from the riverbed and took up a position on the left flank in the woods. With these forces in place, I sent the reserves via the same path as the engineers.

I sent all 4 platoons up the hill en mass. When they were in position, I dropped smoke on the hilltops. Once the area was prepped, I charged with 3 platoons and the 88 was history. Vehicles advanced along the road and the Shermans took out both Stugs. The company on the hilltop made easy work of the enemy inf, and that was that. biggrin.gif

Great work Patrick, please make more! smile.gif

How about some campaigns for the Axis?

Gosh that was easy!

The AI obviously did not use the town as a strongpoint, and did not make use of the open ground/brush to kill you.

I think you got a bit lucky there 420! Not trying to tone down your victory though, but it seems too easy...

I faced a great challenge in this scen, especially since I decided not to use the vehicles...

Regards

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Coralsaw,

*SPOILER*

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

That's what I was thinking too frown.gif

I had expected the enemy to use the town as a strong point too. I couldn't see any other ways to go around, so I thought I'd just send a strong force in to capture it. All my mortars and MG's had LOS to the town and I was ready to have a good firefight.