Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Giving incorrect information about Finland

It's been done before without knowing about the consequenses. smile.gif

This happened years back, in the 80's before I stated my studies in Turku. In SW Finland, that is...

We had a traditional competition for our Boy Scouts in the end of October and I had been given to my responsibility to take care of one of the controls points out in the deep woods.

The event was supposed to start early in the saturday morning, so I headed out for my coordinates already on friday evening. I set up a simple piece of surplus canvas between a couple of young spruces, put up a small fire and made myself comfortable with a bottle of Vodka and some food. After having solved all the problems in the world by myself I crept inside my sleeping bag and prepared for the day after.

In the morning I noticed that the first snowfall that autumn had covered the ground in an even layer of snow, about 2-3 inces deep, including my sleeping bag. It was nothing remarkable so I cleared the the fireplace again and started making some breakfast.

Then I heard a distant noise of a car engine coming closer. Between the tree branches I could see it was a familiar terrain vehicle that was parking on the turning point 100 meters away. As these two men came out of the car I saw that the driver, Koskinen, was the boss for the local hunting club, but his companion was a total stranger to me. The newcomer had clothes made of green (and seemingly expensive) felt, short boots and a peculiar sort of hat that had a long feather stuck in it. Clearly, not one of the local people.

They were talking English to each other and passed me and my little camp by some 5 meters or so. There were no footprints or anything else revealing my location, so it was no wonder they both got "a bit" startled as I said: "Good morning, Koskinen."

It took him a couple of seconds to reconize me and my rag-tag "tent" all covered in snow, before he started laughing, "how the Hell did YOU get here? I saw no tracks anywhere." The other guy, however, got almost his eyes popped out of their sockets, "mein GOTT, ein WALDFINNE (a forest-finn)!" and grabbed his 8 mm film camera (widely used before the cheap video cameras came to the market) and put it to work. He was a German tourist who had come to Finland for moose (sp?) hunting and Koskinen was showing him the platforms they were going to use later.

I told Koskinen about the day's agenda and showed him on the map where we were supposed to have our other control points and suggested for them some breakfast I was preparing but they had already had some before. I gave the German guy, a dentist in... Duesseldorf if I remember it correctly, some of my Vodka, though, while he was continuously filming me and my gear, obviously impressed. He was really a sympathetic man. For a dentist.

They left after a while and then I hiked a few km's to see the start of the competition. I almost forgot all about this small incident.

A year after, when I already was studying elsewhere, I met one of Koskinen's friends while visiting my parents back home. "Was it possibly you a certain German might have filmed out in the woods for, like, a year ago?", he asked. I admitted that it had been me.

"Yeah, we werent sure but figured out it must be you or somebody else from the scouts. Also, you look like the guy on the film he showed us recently."

"What the...?"

"Yup. He came back with some of his German hunting friends. He has been showing that film all over Germany as a living proof of the modern Finnish youth who, instead of getting together with their friends and having a few beers in a Bierhalle as youngsters in Germany, go alone out in the deep forests with a bottle of Schnapps and a couple of sausages and feel quite comfortable with that kind of life."

"Oh."

"Then he said something touching about our eternal "Waffenbruderschaft", but you don't need to know more of that."

"Hey, that's pretty cool!", I said.