Human Wave tactics

• 3 months later...

I still have trouble understanding how to use assault and advance. It seems to suggest that you advance if you are 20-100m from the enemy and assault from 20-0m. Why can't the AI simply switch from advance to assault as it gets close? I find that for some reason some of my Russian squads once I have given them their first "advance" orders I can't give them "assault" orders for the last 20m...

Originally posted by derb:

I still have trouble understanding how to use assault and advance. It seems to suggest that you advance if you are 20-100m from the enemy and assault from 20-0m. Why can't the AI simply switch from advance to assault as it gets close? I find that for some reason some of my Russian squads once I have given them their first "advance" orders I can't give them "assault" orders for the last 20m...

It's to simulate the confusion inherent in a platoon commander trying to give detailed orders to 30+ men. You can, actually, order advance then assault by using two waypoints.

John D Salt posted:

Apart from anything else, this seems in direct contradiction to the policy of not having "national characteristics". I understand that a morale bonus is conferred on the chargers, but is there any morale effect on the target of the charge? That, I would have thought, would have been the means whereby such tactics could prove effective. If the defenders keep their nerve and keep firing, the morale of the attackers determines only how many of them get killed before they are driven to ground.

John, great minds think alike. I thought this smacked suspiciously of a National Characteristic and posted on the subject last month. You know, those overheated, animalistic Russkies. Sort of condescending. OTOH, according to the manuel, Soviet grunts rate out a step lower than the Germans till '44, so....

I think what's missing in this thread is that BFC obviously intended the HW to be accompanied by a high Fanaticism quotient. Otherwise, it makes little sense. With a 50% FR a Human Wave assault works wonderfully- and realistically, you can picture the black, pistol wielding NKVD officers at the rear. So far, IMO, scenario makers have underutilized the Fanaticism parameter.

I find that the HW command does lead to one Gamey Abuse application: you can bring up troops from the back much faster with HW than with MOVE. And, in the current build, there's not enough of a fatigue penalty for using it. IMO.