HE ammo for 6pdr. / M1 AT gun ?

was there or was there not HE ammo for that gun? I cannot find any reference to HE ammo for it, and the US Army Ordnance catalog doesn't even list substitute standard HE ammo for the 57mm AT gun. Now, my references are limited, and since CM has HE ammo for the 57mm AT gun, they sure had some sources to do that, so the info must be out there.

I would be very grateful for any info on that mysterious HE ammo for the 6-pdr / 57mm ATG, especially shell weight, Vo and HE charge.

There was an HE shell for 6 pdr and U.S. 57mm guns. 6.2 pound projectile with 0.4 pounds explosive.

U.S. T18 HE round was issued for 57mm gun early 1945.

British 6 pdr HE available to U.S. 57mm in Europe June 1944. British 6 pdr HE available to British units February 1943.

Nigel Evans has indicated that British did not issue HE to anti-tank guns until 1944 due to a fear that HE use would prematurely wear out the barrel.

6 pdr APDS rounds are used by U.S. 57mm ATG in limited quantities starting summer 1944.

Thank you very very much, Mr. Bird!

edit: now that you mention it, "T"-rounds seem to be sort of experimental rounds, right? I had been wondering about this ever since I came across the T-4 for the 76mm and the T33 for the 90mm gun. Again, thanks!

[ June 23, 2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

Originally posted by Durbish:

Not exactly HE but grapeshot was made for the 57mm wasnt it?

Perhaps you are thinking of cannister, which is not precisely the same thing as grapeshot even if it operates on a similar principle. So far as I know, grapeshot was not used after the close of the 19th. century at the latest.

Such a round was made for the 37mm. I sort of vaguely recall somebody mentioning a cannister round for the 57mm as well, but it isn't the kind of memory that I trust.

Michael

[ June 24, 2002, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Durbish:

Not exactly HE but grapeshot was made for the 57mm wasnt it?

Perhaps you are thinking of cannister, which is not precisely the same thing as grapeshot even if it operates on a similar principle. So far as I know, grapeshot was not used after the close of the 19th. century at the latest.

Such a round was made for the 37mm. I sort of vaguely recall somebody mentioning a cannister round for the 57mm as well, but it isn't the kind of memory that I trust.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by rexford:

German 75L24 is supposed to have used cannister against human wave attacks with good results.

7,5cm Kartätschenpatrone KwK. Contained 960 steel balls of 9mm diameter each. Useful out to 200m range. As rexford said, used only by the short 7,5cm L/24, which means early StuGs (StuG III Ausf.B, C, D and E) and early Pz IV (Pz IV Ausf. A, B, C, D, E, F1).

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rexford:

German 75L24 is supposed to have used cannister against human wave attacks with good results.

7,5cm Kartätschenpatrone KwK. Contained 960 steel balls of 9mm diameter each. Useful out to 200m range. As rexford said, used only by the short 7,5cm L/24, which means early StuGs (StuG III Ausf.B, C, D and E) and early Pz IV (Pz IV Ausf. A, B, C, D, E, F1).</font>