Withdrawing forward?

I am faced with a "problem" in a pbem. One of my platoons has passed by an enemy platoon, and start to take fire. What I want them to do is to advance, not stay and fight the bypassed plt.

"well then, use move or run or something" you say.

But I want them to return fire while advancing.

And here comes the quirk, they can not "withdraw" forward!? Is that design or bug?

Mmh, not sure I understand exactly what's the situation. But if you mean, you want your soldiers to continue their advance and while on the move, fire at an ennemy behind them, then I think it's quite understandable they can't. Quite difficult (more like impossible) to shoot accurately at a bunch of bad guys while moving backwards over uneven ground in the general direction of another potential enemy position. So I would guess it's a feature. Just my opinion.

Or they should all be equipped with rear-view mirrors on the helmet and shooting over their shoulders biggrin.gif . Perhaps a new mod?

Sig

Not sure you can fire backwards while moving forwards...never tried it although it doesn't make much sense. The reason you can't "withdraw forward" is because the withdraw command is used for a quick retreat where there is no command delay. This is used if you are taking heavy damage from enemy or arty. Since there is no command delay, it can't be used on the "offense" or people would use it all the time since there is no command delay.

From my experiance, withdrawing ( disengaging ) troops can't fire at all. There are just to busy to get out of the way as quick as possible. I think it is also not possible to withdraw towards the enemy setup zone, but I haven't tried it yet. Must look funny in real life though:

" Eh Hans, ze Tommies have lost zeir orientation. Zey are retreating in ze wrong direction."

" Nee Dieter, zis is just 'nother dirty trick from Monty!" ( DakkaDakkaDakka ) wink.gif

Aha, no command delay. That explains it, why you can not do it forwards.

Must admit I have never used the "withdraw"-command before (bad or good? you tell me wink.gif ).

I always thought that "withdraw" was = pedal backwards while firing, of course the fire would be inaccurate as heck, but provide some suppression.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've never had to deal with a situation like this personally. I'm sure the same principles of withdrawing (backwards) would work.

When I want to get a platoon out of an area quickly I usually have all three squads open fire at the enemy, then using the pause command I withdraw one unit about 50 meters or so (depending on the terrain). With any luck that unit repositions and continues to fire on the enemy (area) as the next unit withdraws. I do this until all my units are out of harms way (or dead) smile.gif That trick should work with you the only difference is your withdrawing, errr, forward.

[ 04-11-2001: Message edited by: nedlam ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

One thing to keep in mind also.

Using the withdrawl command also causes a big moral hit to the unit.

Lorak<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but if you use the command *before* the unit is too badly shaken, they recover nicely.

It's often the only way to extract units with long command delays form a situation which starts to develop badly.

Hehe, ever tried to save a green isolated unit from incoming artillery fire or a charging ennemy? :D With a 50 seconds command delay, if you don't use "withdraw" all is lost.

I must say that I only recently started to use "withdraw" on a regular basis and I regret I haven't used it more often before. Would have saved many pixellised lifes in the past.

Sig

[ 04-12-2001: Message edited by: Sig ]