Game play and tactics questions.

Guest kking199

Guest kking199

I have a few questions I wanted some feedback on.

Split Squad - one tactic I have thought of but not used or seen that I know of, is splitting squads to create the illusion of more troops in an area. Is this tactic considered gamey by anyone and has anyone had any experience trying this out?

Unit Position - unit positioning for optimal coverage and firing seems to be more of an art than a science, at least for me. Especially tricky is positioning on the crest of hills, and in particular with tanks to achieve hull down. Does anyone have any advice on how to place units, have you discovered the science to it?

Hiding Armor - is there any advantage to hiding armor? Is the only real outcome that their spotting ability is decreased and they hold fire longer?!?! I read that they keep engines at low idle, but does this benefit outway decreased spotting. I am assuming that the crew did not throw branches and stuff on the tank to conceal. Opinions and experiences welcomed.

Sound Detection - one element that I like about CM, and that adds a large dose of realism, is the spotting of units by sound. I was wondering if this element of the game is modeled differently based on weather/ground conditions?

------------------

Arghhh!!.... I'm Hit!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kking199:

Split Squad - one tactic I have thought of but not used or seen that I know of, is splitting squads to create the illusion of more troops in an area. Is this tactic considered gamey by anyone and has anyone had any experience trying this out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's gamey, and yes, it can be effective against a human player. I don't think it would make a difference against the AI.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Unit Position - unit positioning for optimal coverage and firing seems to be more of an art than a science, at least for me. Especially tricky is positioning on the crest of hills, and in particular with tanks to achieve hull down. Does anyone have any advice on how to place units, have you discovered the science to it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there is a science to it. There's no hard and fast rules for where to best place your men, just go by what feels best, and if that doesn't work, ask yourself why it didn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hiding Armor - is there any advantage to hiding armor? Is the only real outcome that their spotting ability is decreased and they hold fire longer?!?! I read that they keep engines at low idle, but does this benefit outway decreased spotting. I am assuming that the crew did not throw branches and stuff on the tank to conceal. Opinions and experiences welcomed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hiding tanks isn't something I do a whole lot, but I suppose it might be useful if you're trying for an ambush.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sound Detection - one element that I like about CM, and that adds a large dose of realism, is the spotting of units by sound. I was wondering if this element of the game is modeled differently based on weather/ground conditions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds are muffled in fog, rain, and snow, IIRC. I don't think ground conditions affect sounds independently of weather, though.

Guest kking199

Gracias Chupacabra smile.gif

And now to completely humiliate myself... what in the world does "IIRC" stand for?!?! For the life of me I cannot figure it out!

------------------

Arghhh!!.... I'm Hit!!!

Split Squad - one tactic I have thought of but not used or seen that I know of, is splitting squads to create the illusion of more troops in an area. Is this tactic considered gamey by anyone and has anyone had any experience trying this out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing this will do against the AI (or a human, since the TacAI takes over during each action phase) is provide "target overload". Sometimes the TacAI can be overcome by sheer numbers of targets and will tend to switch from one to another without sticking on one long enough to shoot. This is especially true for slow turreted tanks, SP guns, towed AT guns and artillery pieces since they take a while to turn. Just make sure everyone keeps moving until you're in a position to gang up on the enemy or flank him. Don't forget you take a morale hit for splitting, though.

Mass your fires, not your troops!

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

Guest kking199

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

One thing this will do against the AI (or a human, since the TacAI takes over during each action phase) is provide "target overload". Sometimes the TacAI can be overcome by sheer numbers of targets and will tend to switch from one to another without sticking on one long enough to shoot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, so is this considered a Gamey tactic then?!!? Seems like it certainly could be classified as gamey.

I am in complete agreement about mass your fire, and from multiple angles if possible!

Ok, so is this considered a Gamey tactic then?!!? Seems like it certainly could be classified as gamey.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily, but a lot depends on the situation and who you're playing against. I consider it OK since dispersion is just good defensive tactics. I first starting trying this when it was suggested in a thread about the best way to assault a building. Notice too that you don't need to split squads to do this, but you can if you're short on troops.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

One thing with split squads against a human - one you get to level two of the spotting you can tell that they're either split or injured:

At level 1 spotting all you see is a single guy

At level 2 spotting you see an appropriate number of guys for the unit size so that full squads have 3 and half squads have 2. If you've just run through a bunch of fire unscathed you might convince your opponent that you have twice as many squads (all of which are partially damaged), but if it's first contact it will be clear what's going on.

At level 3 you get the full info on the squad.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.