A possible marketing tactic?

I was doing something necessary and mindless earlier today, when suddenly, I had a brilliant idea. Of course, that means it's likely already been mentioned, but who cares? It would deserve repeating, right? Anyway...

It goes something like this:

If/when the movie replay feature makes it into CM:BB, CM2, CM:Lima to Buenos Aires, or CM: The Moon to Mars, what would happen if it could be viewed via conventional media players such as QuickTime or WMP (That's Windows Media Player for all you Micronesians and Siberians)?

Given that the best form of marketing is word of mouth and seeing is believing, what would happen to CM sales if all of us addicts started emailing movie playbacks to everyone short of God and Adam?

I can see it now! In two years, all individuals with so much as a passing interest in tactical combat will be playing the latest version of CM!

Is this a valid tool, or am I just completely off my rocker (no, don't answer that). Thoughts?

Guest Panzer Boxb

Well, theoretically speaking, it would be possible to use a number of applications to capture the video stream from a full CM: Earth to Uranus playback in a mainstream video format.

another marketing tactic is to actually release the game, (sarcasm!) and see if they can in fact keep up with the number of orders they will get in the first 2-3 weeks after public release given the demand from this forum ALONE will be HUGE! :D

-tom w

[ June 07, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

But a media player like Quicktime wouldn't let you move the camera around. You'd see only what the maker of the movie recorded in his chosen camera view.

The introduction Quicktime movies in CM are like this.

Right, but the point is that we as gamers could be doing some of the advertising here. Having it written in a way that the movie files could be played through a conventional media player would mean that no extra steps need be taken. Also, those of us who aren't as technically inclined could also just email them around.

As to the ability to pan the camera, it wouldn't be all that different from the promo clips that many developers put out anyway. I for one would bombard my friends with these. "See this? It's not some random movie that someone just happened to make, it's a game! Now go buy it so we can play." :D