German Halftrack 37mm HC ammo

I noticed that 1942 german halftracks mounting the 37mm gun have some pretty incredible HC ammo...the penetration figures are about the same as for 150mm HC. Something like 180+ at 0 degrees. Wow. What gives? Haven't seen anything about this. I noticed it in the 'To the Volga' operation 37mm halftrack unit ammo. (warning, do not load that one unless you have a FAST computer)

Ren

Originally posted by Renaud:

I noticed that 1942 german halftracks mounting the 37mm gun have some pretty incredible HC ammo... Something like 180+ at 0 degrees. Wow. What gives?

If you saw Band of Brothers, do you remember than one scene with the small German field gun firing something that looked a rifle grenade on steriods? That's the 37mm HC round. It was called something like "stiehlgranite" (except spelled correctly). It was an oversized projectile that you stuck on the end of a 37mm gun, which launched it like a rifle grenade. If you check the rest of the stats, you'll notice that its muzzle velocity is only ~100m/s or so (it's way bigger and heavier than a normal 37mm shell), while the other 37mm rounds are much faster, like 5-600 m/s. 37mm AT guns have 'em, too.

Agua Perdido

[Disclaimer: I am not a grog, and grogs are welcome to correct and amend what I have written above. Like I could stop ya...]

Ah yes, I remember something about this. It'd be nice if they mentioned it in the info page for the vehicle...or maybe I didn't see it. That has to confuse a lot of folks that don't watch the All-Hitler Channel (excuse me, History Channel) regularly.

That has to be dangerous to load when under small arms fire. Someone would have to crawl around the front to stick that thing in the barrel. Sounds like a job for the new recruit! ;)

Ren

I just commented on this in another thread.

In any event - I was quite happy to see the inclusion of this projectile to the Pak36's ammunition loadout.

It was muzzle loaded, as already mentioned, and propelled by a cassing with propellent - but no projectile (obviously). Simillar to a blank round, only it wasn't crimped.

The actual projectile, looked simillar in appeared to the warhead of a Panzerfust - though its "tail" comprised of a perforated sleeve, containing a rod which then slid into the guns actual barrel, (with the sleve overlapping both). The sleeve also had six stabilizing fins.

Pak36w.Spigotbomb.jpg

According to Ian V. Hogg's "German Atillery of World War Two", when fired, the projectile had a velocity of 110mps and was effective up to 300m; though its maximum range was 800m. As indicated above, it could penetrate 180mm of armour, though Ian V/ Hogg's book doesn't specifiy the angle. Its likely 30°, but even if its 0° - its still some serious penetration either way.

This projectile was designed to give the Pak36 a new lease on life, an important feat considering the vast numbers these Germans still had available to them, whether they were German Pak36's or captured Russian 37mm Model 30 L/45 (Pak36 built under license by the Soviet Union).

Whats interesting to note - is that according to Peter Chamberlain and Terry Gander's book "WW2 Fact Files: Anti-Tank Weapons", the Stielgranate-41 was also able to be used with the captured French 47mm Pak181(f), and Pak183(f) (both were models of the French SAmle 1937) as well as the Czech 37mm Pak36(t) and 47mm Pak37(t) (the 47mm Czech gun as seen mounted on the Panzerjager I and in its "normal" field gun role).

I have yet to check in the game to verify if this was taken into account for those guns (which are actually in the game) as well.

Hope that helped. smile.gif