can I host with Verizon DSL?

Im running one pc off a verizon dsl connection. I dont have the XP firewall enabled but I do run Zone alarm. I tried hosting last night and the other guy wasnt able to connect...my ip address listed on my hosting page was 192 sumthin, as it always is. I have read here that 192 ips are internal and dynamic-meaning that I cant host with that.

Anyone out there with Verizon DSL hosting?

I did just find here on the board a whatsmyip.com so I will try that when I get home from work and see if it is different

thnks

Bob

Bob,

You should be able to run with no problem. You will need to let Cm access the internet with zone alarm. The wahtismyip address is the one for someone else to use. If you have a hardware firewall, you need to port forward port 7023 to the 192.168.XXX>XXX address your computer has.

have fun playing 2 player, it is a blast!

Rune

I'm not familiar with the hardware that Verizon offers with their DSL service. Since you have a 192.168.x.x address, it's assumed that your DSL modem may have a built-in router that utilizes NAT (network address translation). To check this out you may want to look through your documentation that Verizon gave you and see how to access your DSL modem's web setup page. This should hopefully provide you will settings for 'port forwarding'. You may also find on these web-setup pages the actual IP address of your modem, which would be the address that you need to give out for someone to connect to you in CM.

However it is possible that Verizon may be using a 'private network' where the modem itself is assigned a private IP address (the 192.168.x.x) address and your computer is assigned to another class C private address (for example the modem has an address of 192.168.1.167 and your computer has an address of 192.168.10.40). In that case it becomes very hard to host. Using a website such as What's My IP.

As Redwolf explains in this thread , this IP address may only apply to HTTP (web browser) protocols since your ISP may be caching/proxying them. Your best bet may be to call Verizon support (if you can't figure out how to setup your DSL modem, etc.) and see if you can host on TCP Port 7023.

I'm not familiar with the details of Counter Strike's TCP/IP play. Do you know if it involves or has an option for direct computer-to-computer TCP/IP gaming or does it involve a 'game server' that allows you to find other opponents ?

If Counter Strike has a direct host-to-host TCP/IP option, then setting up CM for TCP/IP play should be possible too. However if CS requires a 'game server' to make a connection to another player via TCP/IP, then your capability to play CS isn't a reflection of CM being possible to setup (at least as the 'server').

Look at your network properties for the 'Gateway' IP address in Windows XP go to the Start Menu > Control Panel > Network Connections control panel > double-click the 'Local Area Connection' that appears, I assume that this is your only network connection, but there can be others > Properties button > double-click on 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' in the listing that appears > look at the IP address for 'default gateway'. With this number go to a browser and type in 'http://<default gateway IP>'. This may bring up the admin webpage for your DSL modem/router. In here you can look for the 'port forwarding' settings (if available) and see if you can specify your computer's IP as the address to forward the port to.

As for Zone Alarm, you can add the CM application to it and allow it to act as a 'server' in the Programs tab (there'll be a total of 4 green check marks for it in the listing).