Ideas for Finnish Helmet mod?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Gotta love that quote:

"So many of them, so few of us, how will we ever bury them all?" Did any Finn in particular say this?

It's quoted at least in book "Winter War", written by Engle & Paananen. I don't recall who actually said it, but I assume it was one of those things that just pop up with no sure way to find out who did actually say it smile.gif ...like Molotov's Coctail.

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by Engel:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

"So many of them, so few of us, how will we ever bury them all?"

Sounds suspiciously like something that was made up after the fact to boost troop morale.

I think it was not concoted for propaganda purposes. There are several similar remarks of that kind we Finns cherish, both from RL and fiction written after the war. Väinö Linnas "The Unknown Soldier" (about the CMBB period smile.gif ) is especially well known and quoted. Some of the Finnish remarks heard in the game are directly from that book.

More Winter War remarks that spring to mind off hand:

In Trotters "A Frozen Hell" there is a story about a British/American correspondent who went on tour to inspect the carnage after the Raate road battles were over and he wrote down how a Finnish soldier tallying the Russian KIA remarked "The wolves will eat well this year."

And a Russian general, forget who, is supposedly on record for saying "We gained just enough ground to bury our dead."

[ November 11, 2002, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: tero ]