The general moral

In an earlier threat about surrendering troops, the general conclusion was that the most soldiers surrendered because of stratic incidents, not because of the tactical action.

I guess this can be easy simulated, even in CM. Maybe it would be a good idea if the 'general moral' must not start at 100%? This can be senseful for example in case of a pocket battle.

[ July 20, 2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

In the game Command Decision morale and troop quality are two different and unrelated factors.

Units can start with low or high morale, as the situation dictates, and the morale can (and usually will) drop during a battle.

In contrast to CM though, morale is only affected by factors known to each unit, and there's no global morale that impact things.

Cheers

Olle

Interesting question.

But for that we first need to know what "100%" actually is, i.e. do different nations/units have different bases (100% of 50 is less than 100% of 100).

Doesn't the combat fitness modifier in CM:BB model that?

However, I would like to see global morale implemented as well.

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

In the game Command Decision morale and troop quality are two different and unrelated factors.

Units can start with low or high morale, as the situation dictates, and the morale can (and usually will) drop during a battle.

In contrast to CM though, morale is only affected by factors known to each unit, and there's no global morale that impact things.

Cheers

Olle

That's wrong, Olle. The global moral is always displayed, and if it falls below 15% (maybe this number was changed in later patches), it will cause an auto-surrender. And that's the whole idea, start with a global moral below 100%, and it is more likely that you fall below 15% during the battle = auto-surrender.

When playing operations in cmbo, a side's global morale often starts at less than 100%. I could never work out why but assumed it reflected my poor deployment or the troops getting spooked by hearing armour sounds in the distance etc.

Whatever the reasons, it does indicate that cmbo does take into account factors other than the actual shooting/casulaties into account in determining global morale.

Originally posted by Pacestick:

When playing operations in cmbo, a side's global morale often starts at less than 100%. I could never work out why but assumed it reflected my poor deployment or the troops getting spooked by hearing armour sounds in the distance etc.

Whatever the reasons, it does indicate that cmbo does take into account factors other than the actual shooting/casulaties into account in determining global morale.

I assume you frequently split your infantry squads in the setup? Cause this causes a global-moral loss (don't ask me why), also if you remove troops from the map (like unused transports).

[ July 22, 2002, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pacestick:

I assume you frequently split your infantry squads in the setup? Cause this causes a global-moral loss (don't ask me why), also if you remove troops from the map (like unused transports).</font>

The global moral is always displayed, and if it falls below 15% (maybe this number was changed in later patches), it will cause an auto-surrender. And that's the whole idea, start with a global moral below 100%, and it is more likely that you fall below 15% during the battle = auto-surrender.

One curious thing is that even a single tank (even if it immobilized) will ward off an auto surrender even if the global morale is 10. It will not ward off auto cease fire though.

That's wrong, Olle. The global moral is always displayed, ...

Not in Command Decision (CD), as was my subject.

CD is a miniatures wargame, where each unit has a morale rating, normally somewhere from 6 to 11. That rating may fall during a battle and cause the unit to be pinned, demoralised ("broken", in CM terms) or eliminated ("routed", in CM terms).

The probability that this will happen (in CD) does not depend on any "global" morale, but only on more personal factors for each individual unit.

In CM, on the other hand, the probability that a unit will break or rout depends (in part) on the global morale.

The only reasonable defense I can find for the way it's done in CM is that the battles are so small that it's likely that all events become general knowledge in a short time. (Private Müller in the rifle squad on the north flank know instingtively that a Panther just brew up two kms south on the other side of that forested hill, and is therefore now a bit more prone to break...)

Cheers

Olle

Originally posted by tero:

The global moral is always displayed, and if it falls below 15% (maybe this number was changed in later patches), it will cause an auto-surrender. And that's the whole idea, start with a global moral below 100%, and it is more likely that you fall below 15% during the battle = auto-surrender.

One curious thing is that even a single tank (even if it immobilized) will ward off an auto surrender even if the global morale is 10. It will not ward off auto cease fire though.

I don't think that's the way it works in CM. What wasn't mentioned in this thread yet is the fact that an auto-surrender occurs only if the global moral falls below 15% and the other side's global moral is at least 4 times as high. So if the opponent's global moral is at 33%, your troops won't auto-surrender until your global moral drops down to 8% or lower.

Dschugaschwili