AI and trucks

I just created my first map/scenario. The setup is for Allies to use trucks for convoy to move infantry quickly. I played as Germans defending and all the trucks did was move around a little bit until I took them out with mg and at gun. It doesn't matter except to gain knowledge if AI could figure out empty trucks could be filled with troops.

Embarking / disembarking in general, particularly with a longer term goal in mind, is a weak area for the AI. It is really nasty for squad cohesion. Once embarked, the vehicle AI optimizes for the vehicle, not the troops on board.

If you want a convoy scenario, I recommend mounting the troops as defaut, possibly padlocking onto the trucks and defining an exit zone if possible. This combination should cajole the AI into something like the behavior you are looking for.

I really wish it were possible to create convoys with the AI in charge but you can't. Well, you can set it up but the AI will not do what you want it to.

And yes, awhile ago I had tried what Slappy suggested with exit for points and an exit zone. Still no joy. And if you're really lucky, the AI won't even unmount the troops in the trucks.

If you want a convoy, you'll have to play the side with the convory. Maybe this will be improved upon in CMBB. If not, the next best solution is to build the scenario such that the convoy is already partway (say half?) across the map towards their exit zone. Anyway, convoys+AI do not mix well smile.gif

The problem is that the AI will not move any unarmed vehicles such as trucks, kubelwagens, and non-mg jeeps. Do not ever start a scenario with any units embarked in unarmed vehicles, because they will just sit in the trucks unless they are fired on.

You could try using halftracks instead, since the AI will move them. However, the AI won't know the best time to disembark the squads, so this is an imperfect solution.

You could have a scenario in which the allies have just been ambushed. They would start shaken or pinned, under fire, with units scattered around some trucks. Use half squads to simulate casualties.