Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Loading program

Hi folks. I'm a new user of the program and am having no trouble running it off of the disc. However I am unable to load the program to hard drive. I get the following message:

------------------------------

Error number 0x80070725

Description: Incompatible version of the RPC stub

Setup will now terminate

-----------------------------------

I am running ATI Rage fury video card, AMD processor, 128 MB ram, Yamaha PCI sound card, DirectX 8, 900 MHZ speed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much.

I suggest just manually copying the contents of the CDROM to your hard drive. Create a directory for CMBO (the default for the installation is C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO, but it isn't necessary to create this exact directory). Copy the entire directory structure from the CDROM to your new directory. There are a few setup-related files that you don't need, but no need to worry about them. Once this is done you can create a shortcut of Combat Mission.exe and place it on your desktop or Start Menu. When you launch CM it will go through the resolution selection process (which you've seen already if you've been running it off of the CD). You should have to go through this selection again since a Prefs file will be created that will record your selection.

If you have problems copying the files off of the CD to your hard drive, then you need to double check the cleanliness of your CD. If it still doesn't work then you may have problems with your CDROM drive or possibly the CMBO CD (though that should be very rare nowadays).

Since CMBO uses the Windows Installer you may have a problem with other programs using this 'service'. Which version of Windows are you running ? Have you run 'Windows Update'. I don't know where it is on Microsoft's site, but there may be an updated version of the Windows Installer. Sometimes these errors can be cleared up by doing some registry editing (to run the Setup program).