Bogging Vehicles

Is some ground "harder" than other ground?

Or if conditions are "Wet", is does all ground other than roads have an equal chance of causing a vehicle to bog? Does a lower elevation have a higher chance than a higher elevation?

After some recent experiences, I'm wondering about letting vehicles leave the road at all during "Wet" conditions. Of course this can extremely hamper your vehicles effectiveness.

Scott

Guest Scott Clinton

I don't think terrain elevation makes a difference. I know that at one time they were considering elevation effecting weather (wet/dry and fog effects) but I don't think it made it into the final game.

As for terrain type, YES it makes a huge difference. Brush and scattered trees are VERY dicey for vehicles with bad psi ratings (and halftrack/armored cars) in the snow and even in wet conditions.

I remember one game in the snow I had ONE friggin tank and one armored car with my infantry attacking veteran US paratroops.

I sent the Tiger 50m off the road to get LOS to a 'nest' of paras. It was all CLEAR terrain...it gets bogged and two turns later is totally stuck (immobilzed). Then the armored car trys to move through some scattered trees...it too is imobilized.

Come to think of it, that was the only game I have lost agains the AI. frown.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

If elevation makes no difference, than when faced with large areas of open ground, then the path you take across it has no effect on chance of bogging. (I assume)

Does speed affect chances of bogging?

I guess I'll have to try some tests to determine if the cases of multiple bog downs I've seen in these conditions were bad luck or are commonplace.

Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does speed affect chances of bogging?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have noticed (and IIRC the manual states this too) that speed does make a difference when it comes to bogging vehicles.

In certain terrain and conditions, fast-moving vehicles have a greater likelihood of bogging down.

Guest Scott Clinton

Speed DOES make a dif.

Try moving a halftrak "FAST" though "SCATTERED TREES" in the snow... smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Highlander:

If elevation makes no difference, than when faced with large areas of open ground, then the path you take across it has no effect on chance of bogging. (I assume)

Does speed affect chances of bogging?

I guess I'll have to try some tests to determine if the cases of multiple bog downs I've seen in these conditions were bad luck or are commonplace.

Scott<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ran several tests in SLINGLING. Bogging happened more easily when FAST MOVE was used.

MOVE caused many fewer bogging incidents, as did HUNT, tho the majority of the testing I did was with FAST MOVE and MOVE.

Also, sending vehicles over differing paths seems to help.