Allied Attack Problems

Ok,

I've been making scenarios for a couple of months now, and this is the first time I have ever run into this problem.

Here is the setup.

Small map, terrain from left to right is as follows (generalizing here): Heavy Woods, open field, town.

Allies start in the heavy woods and are attacking the German held town. Allied forces consists of 1 partially beat up company of American Airborne. German forces consist of 1 partially beat up SS Rifle Company and a couple of support elements.

The parameters clearly list the Allies as the attackers, the ground is covered with snow, overcast sky, and time is December 1944.

There is one large flag right in the center of town which is on the far right of the map.

I just spent 30 turns waiting for the Allies to do something, anything at all. The never left the woodline. They never went after the flag, nadda, just kinda ran back and forth occasionally in the woods, but they never even moved forward a single yard. In fact, they appeared to fall back.

What is going on here? Seriously, I have never had any problem with the computer just plain not attacking the flag before. Heck, if anything, the computer tends to forget all tactical sense what-so-ever and run straight for the flag regardless of terrain or how bad it is getting its ass kicked in a crossfire.

Any help here would be appreciated...

Vitalis

The AI seems to use sighted enemy units to orient itself, and as intermediary targets. When it starts with everyone in an area with highly restricted LOS, it doesn't have any clear idea where the enemy is. If it is defending, this isn't a big problem - it sits tight until somebody probes its forces, and then in can react. But when obliged to attack from an area of restricted LOS, it will often lead to complete inaction.

Try putting some forward elements - OPs and LPs - of the German force, on the way to the town (a few LMGs, snipers, etc). One intermediate small flag can also help - it gives it something "attainable" to head for. And try reducing the LOS blockages from the AI's initial set up locations, so at least some units can see close to the objective area from the get-go.

Humans can stumble around in the dark, as far as enemy sightings go, can guess where the enemy will be, can make a plan and stick to it until the enemy is spotted. But the AI, without in-game intel provided by concrete sighting reports in game terms, is disoriented and generally clueless.

Incidentally, since when does a beat up company of airborne get to attack equal numbers plus support weapons across open fields at snail-like snow movement rates? A little stacked, no? Unless the airborne has gonzo quality, numbers, or serious artillery support, *I'd* stay put in the nice safe woods - LOL.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: JasonC ]</p>

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it....

I will try that and see what happens....

Oh, and as for unbalanced, the Airborne has the numbers and once the initial phase fleshes out and works, it also has the reinforcements... :D

It will work out well.