Score penalizes dead units for not exiting?

I just finished a double-blind PBEM match of a release CD scenario that shall remain nameless because I don't want to make this a spoiler thread. While I try to play "realistically" (i.e. execute my Op Orders) and avoid "gamey" tactics, I was more than a tad confused to be declared the loser in this particular scenario. My opponent and I bled each other white (~50% casualties), I exited about a third of my starting force (which was my objective), and I held the on-map victory locations. He won a tactical victory, and the score was 70-30.

Having opened the scenario up with the editor, all I can conclude was that, since my ENTIRE force was eligible to score points by exiting, my opponent must have scored more points for the ~2/3 of my force that didn't exit than I did for the third that got off. Since the bulk of my forces that didn't get off-map were in fact dead (surrounded by a slightly greater number of the enemy), am I correct in thinking that my opponent got points first for killing the units, and second because they didn't exit?

That's the only explaination I can think of for the lopsided score in the "wrong" direction.