Piat or Zooks

Pud

Whats the effective difference between Piat and Zooks. Zooks have more ammo and create a back blast. Does this backblast also mean the are more visible when firing and more likely to be seen from a distance? Is one more accurate. In the few games I have played, Piats "appear" to be more accurate. Both cost about the same.

PS i have done a search but nothing came up.

I don't know about the accuracy thing, but I do know that PIATs use a large spring to fire, so they can shoot in buildings and not worry about setting it on fire or torching people behind them eek.gif

------------------

I can't think of anything to put in the signature box. Will this do?

Pud,

Another difference (although I don't know if its replicated in the game) is that the Projector Infantry Anti Tank (PIAT) can not be fired down onto the target. There is nothing holding the round in so if the angle of depression is too great the round just slides out!

------------------

Regards,

Mark:-{)

Anxiously awaiting the G4 PowerBook

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gibsonm:

[snip]the Projector Infantry Anti Tank (PIAT) can not be fired down onto the target. There is nothing holding the round in so if the angle of depression is too great the round just slides out!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am quit sure somebody here claimed that this was one of the enduring myths of war, and I seem to recollect a projectile break on the one I saw in Bovington. So I would tend to say you can actually fire down, but if somebody who knows more about this would like to comment that might be helpful.

But yes, the PIAT should be much more difficult to spot, b/c it has no backblast. I have also heard that they were used as mortars quite a bit, b/c the 2" mortar was not very good.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Germans - they come here, they shag our anteaters (Angus Deaton)

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-20-2000).]

I posted on this earlier this year. I have researched this, and Germanboy is correct...Myth that it cannot be fired downwards. There was a catch for the round, it could be, and was fired downward. Also look there so see how the PIAT was really fired.

bovington, Panzer Museum and Patton Museum all helped to kill this myth.

Rune

Two big advantage that Zooks have over Piats and Shrecks:

1) Number of rounds. Zooks carry 8 (sometimes as many as 12), while Piats and shrecks are normally 5 or 6.

2) Zooks can run for longer distances without tiring, allowing them to support infantry squads in an attack.

------------------

...This is Romeo-Foxtrot, shall we dance?...

PIATs

Disadvantage:

- Questionable effectiveness on the very heavy German AFVs. I shot several shots at a KT side and rear, not a single penetration.

- Effective range?

Advantage:

- No backblast

- Looks cool

- Can be fired from the hip, usually rewarded with a Victoria Cross (and some knocked out Tiger tanks) from what I've heard...

Cheers

Olle

Ok. Did a test. 2 strips of cover one for Zook(2) one for piat (2), each strip contains Scattered trees, woods and pines. 100m away are the 4 Panthers, 2 in front of each strip.

In all folliage types the result was the same. Zooks fired and were seen most of the time immediately. Piats remained hidden.

buttoned or not result still the same, Zooks reveal themselves, piats remain quietly hidden.

PS the strips were 2 squares deep and the allies where in the centre of the strip.

Pud

I always use the bazooka and the PIAT in different ways.

With bazookas I stay hidden until I either get a shot at the back/flank or the the tank comes within 25 meters. I always try to kill the tank with one shot, so being found doesn't matter. Whether I hit or miss I pull back after one shot so my bazooka doesn't get killed.

PIATs are a different matter, I just wait till a good chance and then blow the enemy away.

With either one you should pick your shots carefully, because you only have a couple.

------------------

"I'd rateher die than be whipped."

J.E.B. Stuart

Am I mistaken, or does CM graphicly show a smoke puff when a piat round fires? (cause thats not accurate smile.gif)

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee