Moving and Targeting

POL

I am new to CM and have to say I love it.

I have a question about moving and targeting.

If I want a unit to crawl to location A and then target another unit when in reaches location A (not as it travels to location A), how do I go about placing the order.

Is it possible?

When I try this, it seems that the unit will simultaneously target the unit in question and crawl to location A.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Pol.

The sort of delayed action orders you want are not possible. This seems like a limitation, but its not. The tac AI is pretty darn bright and will generally target the most important/most vulnerable thing around. I very rarely mess with targeting for infantry grunts. I only use 'T' with on and off board arty, and ocasionally tanks (and only then to make it perfectally clear to the commander that yes, he has my full permission to use the main gun on just about anything).

--Chris

I'd say it depends.

But it's probably not a problem anyway.

While crawling your unit has the goal targeted, but does not actually shoot at it, that will only happen when it reaches the destination, or possibly at an interviening waypoint.

The other possibility is that your unit will engage the target before it starts crawling.

My advice:

- If the target is visible from the start, then consider a direct engagement instead or don't specify any target but make your unit face the target at the end of the crawl.

- If the target is not visible from the start then do target it and plot the crawl, but avoid placing waypoints in LOS from the target.

This should do the trick.

Cheers

Olle

Actually, it can be a problem. One time, I had a zook hiding 80 yards from a panther, with a clump of trees halfway between. I moved him to the trees, hoping he would get to the cover, and then shoot.

Instead, he shoots while he's moving out in the open, missing. The panther and some enemy inf saw him shoot, and blew him away. If he'd held his fire until he reached the trees, he'd probably have got the panther.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Actually, it can be a problem. One time, I had a zook hiding 80 yards from a panther, with a clump of trees halfway between. I moved him to the trees, hoping he would get to the cover, and then shoot.

Instead, he shoots while he's moving out in the open, missing. The panther and some enemy inf saw him shoot, and blew him away. If he'd held his fire until he reached the trees, he'd probably have got the panther.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What type of movement did you set the zook to use? In that situation I would command the zook to do a 'F'ast move to the tree cover which will prevent it from taking a shot while moving. The problem is if the distance is too far then the zook gets tired and can't shoot straight for a while.

I do wonder whether a 'S'neak order would prevent a unit from firing while moving. Anyone know?