Question/Suggestion about the artillery model

Berli,

what you say naturally makes sense. However, in my experience (different army, etc) mortar FDCs tend to be very resource limited compared to a true artillery bty or regt HQ, meaning that the guns have the ability to do stuff that the mortars might find impractical.

Regards

JonS

To me, the main problem with the way Combat Mission simulates arty fire is the orientation of the fire sheath. Instead of it being orientated east/west as it is currently, it should be orientated north/south to get a more realistic spread of fire across a target in a typical east/west style battle that C.M. simulates.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

To me, the main problem with the way Combat Mission simulates arty fire is the orientation of the fire sheath. Instead of it being orientated east/west as it is currently, it should be orientated north/south to get a more realistic spread of fire across a target in a typical east/west style battle that C.M. simulates.

Right. I think that pattern was chosen to simulate the normal dispersal pattern of each single gun without taking into account that the guns would most likely be firing on the same bearing, i.e. parallel so that the rounds land in pretty much the same alignment that the guns have on the ground. You can compensate for this to some extent by using the Target Wide order.

Michael

Originally posted by JonS:

But, regardless of how good comms are, if an FO isn't authorised to fire the battery, the battery won't fire. Because requesting and obtaining permission involves dealing with personalities, the delays can quickly become substantial, ...

It's also a matter of national organisation and procedures.

US spotters request fire from a (any) battery, possibly defined by type, and then usually receive something.

An anecdote comes to mind:

A US FO in France requested some 81mm mortar fire on a village. He didn't get it. Instead he got a coordinated ToT mission from six howitzer (105mm & 155mm) battalions...

British spotters were, as previously mentioned, the artillery troop and battery commanders, and could as such directly order their unit to fire. Only larger missions needed extra authority.

I don't know the organisation of other nations.

Still I don't think it was that common that several FOs at the same time would request fire from one specific battery.

By Mr_Gonzo_The_Rooster

Can scenario designers divide the normal ammunition given to one FO to multiple FOs to help with adjustments and multiple trps?

Not actually divide the ammo, but get more spotters and decrease the ammo for each.

I did that for a CMBO scenario of mine.

Cheers

Olle