Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Radeon 9700 FSAA? 16vrs32 Bit Color?

kverdon

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. I've heard however that the card only supports FSAA at 32 bit color. If your APP runs at 16 bit you do not get FSAA. What I'm wondering is if FSAA will work with CMBO?. The driver setting you select does not specify 16 or 32 bit color. Is CMBO locked to 16bit color or is it determined on how you have your desktop set? Has anyone tried a 9700 with CMBO and did FSAA work.

thanks,

Kevin

CMBO & CMBB are both 16-bit color programs and they're locked at this color depth despite high color depths on the desktop. I believe that the desktop needs to be set at 16-bit color or higher, but I haven't actually checked that out.

I checked a look at the ExtremeTech article that mentioned the 16-bit color limitation with FSAA. I don't know if this is something that ATI will change with future drivers or not.

So it looks like you won't get FSAA in CM. Also of note is that ATI doesn't support fog-tables in DirectX, hence no fog in CM.

Looking at the forums over at Rage3d it appears that ATI has no intention upon providing 16 bit FSAA support for the 9700. This is what I feared about an ATI product. Lousy Driver support!. ATI seems to be able to make good hardware but they cant write a driver to save their life. Where is 3dfx when you need them. Looks like I'll wait for the NV30.

Kevin