The Fiery French is not a balanced scenario

This is an easy defense for the Germans. I won't give any spoilers out, but Wild Bill, this scenario is no good for 2-player play. I played the French, and my buddy who had the Germans told me he was thinking about attacking ME, because he had so much material.

Interesting reports, Gentlemen, and I appreciate your candor. This is one I will look at some more.

The testers using 2 player format gave a pretty good review but your comments merit attention and will get it.

You can of course, report it as you found or wait a day or so and see if you think it looks or plays better.

This kind of information is a big help to me personally. You keep me on my toes.

Thanks. If you two want, I'll pass the revisions to you and I'll be sure that the Combat Mission Depot gets it.

Either way, I appreciate you letting me know this.

Wild Bill

Ah yes, I am one of the Total Loss players. I could not take out the Panthers in the game with my 75mm armed Shermans. By the time the M10 TD's arrived the Germans had moved their Panthers to cover the road...finally under cover of smoke we charged around the curve and closed to point blank range and still only killed a single Panther for the loss of all of our Shermans, TD's etc.

I think if the Germans had fewer Panthers and more Mk IV's or if some of the Shermans had the 76mm gun, things might have changed. We did knock out almost every other vehicle the Germans had, but after repeated hits on each of the Panthers could only kill one of them. Even if we had some of the tanks entering from the road on the French left flank we could have tried for flank shots, but as it was it was the scenario for me was not winnable.

JW

****SPOILER*****

Wild Bill,

One item I would recommend you look at, and possibly remove, is the German AT Pillbox. It doesn't seem to fit in with what was happening in that sector, that of a hasty attack meeting a hasty defense. The whole German southern flank in the pocket was in a state of disarray. IMO, not enough time to construct concrete fortifications, even if they had guessed correctly the anticipated French route of advance.

Wild Bill,

I've played this as Allies against the AI and found it a very tough one to win. I managed to scrape out a minor victory but it wasn't easy. I think I was helped by the fact that the AI kept the German armor back near the victory flags for most of the game--but that made the last VL almost impossible to take.

SPOILER

I think dropping the AT Pillbox, as suggested above, might be a good idea--it doesn't see like a likely location for one and it totally dominates the Allied attack for half the battle. Maybe substitute a well hidden 88? Still, don't remove ALL the challenges....

I love your work, and this one was really fun to play--even if frustrating at times.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

I'm reading these very carefully gentlemen and appreciate your thoughts.

The pillbox is a pain. Most fixed fortifications are. I think it has a place in the battle.

There were defenses, some rather stout. Often I use an item in a scenario to represent a situation...a piece of ground well covered by defensive fire that is hard to knock out.

While Kingfish does have a point what the pillbox represents should be there. There has to be something to slow down the initial French thrust or they'll be at the back of the map too soon.

I've studied the battle from my own limited sources and cannot swear that a pillbox was there. Determined German defenders trying to keep the French in place were there.

Even so, as the good Admiral states, the scenario has been modified, not a lot, but at least to give the French a better chance than before. He has the latest copy at the CM Depot for your convenience. If any of you need a copy sent for any reason, I'll be happy to do so, but a visit to the depot is even better.

The revision should be up soon also on the Boots N Tracks site. I'll check and see if it is anywhere else and update it.

After reading this last night (thanks for the heads up, Super Ted!) I toyed with it, tested it and made some changes. I think it is better. I hope you will too.

I will say, however, that all of this input is good and I peraonally am greatful for all of it. No one knows better than you players what works and what does not.

Wild Bill

Wild Bill I just want to tell you I appreciate your attitude and class and your willingness to look at issues raised by people playing your scenarios. I was reminded reading your post how many of your scenarios I have played that are EXCELLENT and it seems I have only rated those I didn't like...I will correct this in the future. No wonder you are my favorite scenario designer.

JW