AI attacking non-threats

Mack

In a QB whilst defending against the AI, the Russians attacked an 88/bunker for fifteen turns after it had run out of ammo. The AI would have won the battle if it had not directed 50% of its force to this non-flag area. I would ideally like the AI to have some sort of idea when ammo is out. Anyone else think that in reality the Russians would have ignored a non-firing gun?

Hmmm....that's no good.

I haven't played enough games with the new patch yet to judge the new changes, but it's a mixed bag with AI.

I do agree that any unit should be able to ignore a threat if it hasn't moved/fired in several turns. At least to the point of not sitting there and blazing away at it if it isn't firing back. Real world, they'd decide at some point that a bunker was out of action/abandoned/out of ammo if it hadn't fired at them in awhile, and move on. Maybe a silent 88 is just too ominous. ;) If it were me, I'd be saying "Hey, quit provoking it and let's try to get the hell out of here!"

The only possibility I can think of for your example would be if your troops could see that the bunker crew was still there, but just thought that they were broken or pinned (technically, still in operation). In that case, they might be right in keeping fire on the target and preventing it from resuming it's operation. I disagree that they should be able to tell when it's out of ammo.....how realistic would that be? I for one would be chapped if the enemy AI was omnipotent to that degree, and, as soon as my 88 stopped firing, came bodly storming up the hill. That wouldn't happen in real life.

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that an 88 is weapon that you want to make sure is knocked out. There is no doubt that a human opponent would have concentrated on the flags as further attacks on the gun meant defeat. I suppose I am looking for the 'holy grail' of the computer thinking like a human.

Usually nothing lasts long once its been sighted... hmm.
It lasted long enough to take out 18 assorted vehicles (8 tanks) and 127 infantry! At the end of the game a company of infantry supported by a flame tank and several armoured vehicles were attacking it at close range. It was receiving close protection from a platoon of infantry and was being supported at distance by various light weapons. I don't have a problem about the AI not destroying it, although I do have a problem about the AI continually attacking a silent gun and losing it's chance to take the flags.

Originally posted by Mack:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Usually nothing lasts long once its been sighted... hmm.

It lasted long enough to take out 18 assorted vehicles (8 tanks) and 127 infantry! At the end of the game a company of infantry supported by a flame tank and several armoured vehicles were attacking it at close range. It was receiving close protection from a platoon of infantry and was being supported at distance by various light weapons. I don't have a problem about the AI not destroying it, although I do have a problem about the AI continually attacking a silent gun and losing it's chance to take the flags.</font>