Seeking *Spoiler* for Valley of Trouble

I copied Valley out of the demo into my purchased version (upgraded with the latest patch).

I'm having trouble knocking out the pill boxes with my artillery. I've read lots of posts about how it should be a snap for the 105 spotter to take them out.

I begin the scenario accepting the placement of my units (except the tanks, which I hide). I target the 105 spotter on the pill box. I get YELLOW "Target Area" line. This order takes 2 minutes to take effect.

After 2 minutes the shelling begins. Some shells hit, but not too many. I never do any real damage before I run out of ammo (5 or 6 minutes).

What is it that I have wrong? Do I need a better line on the target?

Any advice will be welcomed.

Dellisny,

It seems you've read an older thread, as artillery has been toned down a bit since the "early days" of CM. I've found that even 8 inch howitzers and 240MM artillery will not take out pillboxes. Tanks are definitely the most effective at taking them out from a distance, which is easy if they are machine gun pillboxes, but a tad harder if they're AT pillboxes.

Good luck,

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Thank you for your reply. That is exactly the confusion I was experiencing. I was looking forward to taking them out with ease.

Given the toned down artillery, what is a good aproach to this scenario. All I can manage is a very bloody draw.

- doug

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BeWary:

Dellisny,

It seems you've read an older thread, as artillery has been toned down a bit since the "early days" of CM. I've found that even 8 inch howitzers and 240MM artillery will not take out pillboxes. Tanks are definitely the most effective at taking them out from a distance, which is easy if they are machine gun pillboxes, but a tad harder if they're AT pillboxes.

Good luck,

BeWary

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Groundpounder said, keep the pillbox covered in smoke. You should have enough to last a while. I moved a platoon of infantry plus a tank or two as far right as possible then tried to flank the bunker using my infantry to find any shrecks/AT guns. Then my tanks to cover the infantry once they move again. Once you get out of the bunkers Line of sight(sides/behind) you can just walk your infantry right up to it and they'll drop a few grenades, it can take a round or two for them to bust in but they'll get in there sooner or later.

You could also try to flank from the left, theres not as much cover and its farther but you wont have to deal with as much enemy infantry.

Hope that helps

I must of played that scenairo a million times waiting for the full version. smile.gif