Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need some scenario briefing help...

I need some help as I'm trying to design my own scenario. I get stuck when it comes to the scenario briefing part. I know that you need to write 3 files ( 1 General, 1 Axis & 1 Allied ) & that they have to be in .txt form for CM to be able to understand them. Can somebody walk me through the steps of making & saving briefing files please? Also, can I make the files in Notepad ( as I've just figured out how to use this ) & will CM underatnd them if I do? I know these may sound like simple things but I've been through the manual several times & I'm still unsure about this stuff.

Thanks.

windows users:

when in the scenario editor main menu, i hit ctrl-esc (or the windows key) and then 'r' for 'run', then type in 'notepad' and hit 'enter' (then alt-space, x for full screen)... then i type in the briefing(s) and save in a directory (folder) i'm familiar with... then alt-tab (sometimes have to hit multiple times, depending upon how many apps are loaded) 'back in' to the cmbb editor main menu... then i click 'load briefings' and 'point' the 'dialog box' to the directory where i just saved the 'briefings,' then load them...

if i then - in modifying or testing the scenario or whatever - see the need to change the briefings, i repeat the above until (most all of) the errors and inconsistencies are ironed out...

so basically it's an exercise in ctrl-esc (or window key) and/or alt-tab... getting everyfink (close to) 'just right'

Also, you can write your briefing in Word, and save it a .txt file.

Then open it in Notepad. In Notepad, you have an option to do "wordwrap" under edit. Uncheck that and make sure each of your paragraphs have no carriage returns in them. Then toggle wordwrap on, and your text will fit your screen nicely.

Oh, one more trick. You know the standard opening

Title: Hube's HQ Attacked

Type: Allied Attack

and so on??

For a while there, I was completely flummoxed on how to get the Title words, Type words, and so forth, lined up nicely as though they were tabbed.

In notepad, you can "trick" the program into lining up each of your opening briefing lines such as lining up the word "Hube's" with the word "Allied" in my example above.

To do this you make sure they are the same number of SPACES from the left hand column: you can increase the number of spaces using the spacebar, decrease by using the back space.

Thus, you don't line up by sight, or by tabs (there are no tabs in notepad) but rather by making sure that the each left most letter of the Title, Type, etc. are an equal number of characters from the far left margin. So in Notepad, it will look all jagged, but when you bring it into CM, it will line up as though it were laid out with tabs.