Military strategy

How about the "Military Reference Library" CD they have right here ar Battlefront? It has over a hundred manuals covering all aspects of tactics with different military branches, from Infantry to Armor and I think even to Air.

I'm going to get my own copy as soon as I get the money, along with the "Combat Leader's Field Guide" which was previously mentioned in this thread.

------------------

...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Thanks for the discussion folks. Makes me think that Market-Garden if it had been successfull might have reasonably been contained (Fionn) and subject to a counter-attack that would have caused high casualties. I'm aware the safe option was chosen. I'm not aware if a very good argument has ever been put forward to support the single thrust. Reminds me of the discussion about the British taking Tripoli in 1st half of '41 after Beda Fomm. Some say it could have been done.....

(I'll have to wait for CM3 with the 'expanded North African Campaign' operation)... biggrin.gif

Heres a couple of suggestions; The Infantry Platoon and Squad,U.S. Army Field Manual FM 7-5,this is the modern day manual but all the info is applicable to CM.(or any other small unit action)Also the Ranger Handbook series,I don't know the author but it's available through the Cav Store. I hope this helps :)

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Noba:

Reminds me of the discussion about the British taking Tripoli in 1st half of '41 after Beda Fomm. Some say it could have been done.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Interesting question. Problem is that even if the diversions for the Greek campaign had not occurred, the British were at the end of their logistical leash by the time they got to el Agheila. In fact, one of the main reasons they were so spread out when Rommel began his counterattack was that they couldn't even keep all the forces they had supplied at the front and thus had to pull some of them back.

I don't know to what extent the Brits were using Benghazi as a port or to what extent it was capable of handling the supplies necessary to an army, but my impression is that during this part of the war, nobody got much use out of it.

One reason, probably the major reason, that it was so hard to achieve a decision in the desert was that until very late in 1942 nobody was able to solve the supply dilemma, though in general the Brits did better than the Axis.

Michael

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Don't Forget Panzer Truppen 1 and 2 by Jentz. And I believe that Jentz has some other great books. Which I need to be getting asap. We should send Jentz a copy of Combat Mission, I'm sure he would fall in love and start giving us advice. That guy has done his homework.