Hull down command

Straif

How to use the "Hull down" command? According to the manual I suppose to select terrain near my target (I can not select enemy tanks as a target for this command), and then my tank suppose to seek a hull down position.

Actually, I cannot make it work for me. Most probably there is a misunderstanding between me and my tank commanders, but my tanks just happily drive over the hilltop to be killed.

My procedure:

1. Target an enemy AFV

2. check LOS (just to be sure smile.gif the LOS line is changing color from red to black at the hilltop

3. press "D" for hull down command for my tank

4. select area near enemy AFV

GO

What is wrong with me :confused:

I think nothing is wrong with you ;)

I experienced the same thing with my tanks/AFV's.

IMO the correct execution of this command depends on two factors:

1. Experience of the Crew. In the scenarios I played only crews of "regular" or above quality were able to seek hull-down properly.

2. Type of AFV: Vehicles without turret, like StuGs, have greater difficulty to achieve hull-down, because they might not be able to depress the barrel to the degree necessary! Therefore they quite often "overshoot" and form a perfect target against the skyline......

I'll echo Marder's comments about crew experience. It does make a difference.

And, while one doesn't select a unit to be hull down to, one can certainly put the waypoint "on" the vehicle.

That is the method I use, since being hulldown to a piece of terrain near the enemy might well be not hulldown to the enemy itself. I've had that happen, kind of makes for an embarrassing moment ;)