Truck speed along RR tracks vs open ground?

I am surprised no one mentioned the old war movie trick where just by chance the wheel base of the trucks perfectly matched the gauge of the railroad tracks and by slightly deflating the tires the trucks could move along the tracks quite nicely. Until the train came.

Thanks for the help everyone. Still inflated Toad.

Hmm, that's just a little bit odd. I can imagine that driving over the sleepers might give one a bit of a rough ride from time to time, but not usually that bad. In fact, my impression is that absent a true highway, MVs might well prefer to travel on a rail line over going cross country. The rights of way are solid and well drained, so there is practically zero chance of bogging. The grades are gentle and the curves are sweeping bends as opposed to the switchbacks one might encounter on roads. At least that's been my experience in the US and I cannot believe that rail lines were any less well laid out and maintained in the ETO. Rail bridges, on the other hand, I can well see as a problem for wheeled traffic, but I don't think that's what we are discussing, is it?

Michael

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

I am surprised no one mentioned the old war movie trick where just by chance the wheel base of the trucks perfectly matched the gauge of the railroad tracks...

That should be 'track width', not 'wheel base', Louie. Wheel base can be considered to be measured axle to axle fore and aft on one side. Track width, IIRC is measured from the center of one patch of tire contact with the ground to the center of the patch on the opposite side. Tread width is the measure from the outside of that patch to the outside of the patch on the opposite side.

Bet that's more than you ever wanted to know!

smile.gif

Michael

Michael,

Can't slip anything by you. I couldn't think of how to say it in two words or less.

RE RR Tracks. Crossing them away from a road crossing might cause tank track problems, but as you point out the RR track bed should be pretty firm ground and the tanks would not have to cross the RR Tracks, could run parallel. Depends on the gauge and width of the tank I suppose.

Casey Toad.

I recall reading years ago about some ACs that had a lever or something in the driver's position. You threw it and these steel wheels dropped down that were perfectly suited to running on tracks. I don't recall what nationality they were though.

I do recall that the Germans had ACs on the Eastern Front that were specially modified to run on rails for anti-partisan patrolling. The Sovs may have had the same kind of thing, but for other reasons.

Michael