Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can't play CMAK demo Single Player!

When I click on the "Start Game" button in the CMAK demo, the Scenarios page flashes in front of my eyes then the demo stops. I can "Join Multiplayer" and load an email file my friend sent me, but "Start Game" doesn't work.

My computer is an old one, a 333Mhz w/ 64Mb RAM, but it runs all CMBB scenarios just fine, and I can PLAY CMAK, just not single-player.

I re-downloaded the scenario and got the same problem.

I have a Voodoo3 video card, which isn't on the troubleshooting list.

Any ideas about what the problem could be? Anyone running the demo correctly on a smaller system than mine?

Thanks,

It seems strange that you can run CMBB with no problems, but the CMAK Demo poses a problem.

Which Windows version are you running ? What version of DirectX do you have installed ? Which particular Voodoo driver do you have installed.

64Mb is a bit on the 'thin' side, but it should work to my knowledge (if you're running Win98). I don't believe that CMAK should really have that much higher requirements than CMBB (especially the Demo and the scenarios that come with it).

Graphically everything looks OK once you play a PBEM, but just playing solo doesn't work ? The only time I've seen the "scenario screen flashes and the screen goes black or CM completely disappears" is with the Voodoo Banshee drivers and an old Trident 8Mb 3D card in CMBB. I guess the Voodoo 3 drivers are now having problems with the CMAK code (though the version you have works with CMBB). The only solution for the Voodoo Banshee cards was to run an older driver (though I can't remember how well they worked either).

I have access to a Voodoo 3, but right now I'm unable to setup a system. It will be a few weeks before I can get around to it.

If you're willing to experiment (with all of the hassles that are involved with that), you can try some different drivers at Voodoo Files, though I wouldn't be surprised if the best candidate is the one you already have installed. You can check out the '3rd Party' drivers, though they rarely fix things. Often they're a combination of drivers and .DLLs that people 'brew' together. There's a possiblity that one of them may address this issue (but have problems with other programs, etc.).