Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sighting the Enemy

Hello all. I'm new to these boards,but not new to CM(had it since CMBO came out.)Ok either I'm doing something wrong or this is just how the game is. How long does it take for the enemy to show itself when you have LOS on it's position. What I mean is that I was playing Cemetary Hill and I know where the Russians are positioned on the right side after the brush,but no matter what I do my troops will not spot them even with LOS. I've even cut it down to partial FOW but no luck. I move up troops using the advance command and have them stop where the enemy is and they don't see anything. They waited for 30+ sec until next turn then Russians popped up and wiped them all out! Cripes I've even advanced right over their foxhole and they didn't pop up until I was behind them on the next turn. :mad: Are they supposed to be that blind? It happens every time,and is really getting frustrating. Also I know some units have binoculars. Is there a way to use them to spot the enemy or is it just assumed they use them. Anyways I hope you understand what I mean here,and I'd appreciate any help that could be given.

BTW: are they hiding and that is why I can't see them?

Thank you,

Newport

Newport, welcome to the board. First: if you post scenario-specific information please use a

*SPOILER-ALERT*

message for those who haven't palyed the scenario yet. Common courtesy.

To your question: yes, it's very hard to spot enemy units in CMBB, especially if they are hiding in terrain like woods or light trees. In fact, you often will only spot such units once they open fire on your troops, and with the new extreme FOW even this will take some time. Actually this is much like in real life. In my army days when we prepared camo'ed positions it was usually next to impossible to spot them even from close range. If the bad guys are hugging the ground while hidden behind bushes or trees you can step onto them before you notice them.

To counter this use half-squads to scout for the enemy while the bulk of your forces provide cover from an overwatch position.

If you think you know already where the enemy is hiding, target the suspicious are with FOs so you can start shelling these positions immediatly once contact is made. Or use your support weapons (HMGs, mortars) to area-target the likely enemy positions.

Never advance without scouts if you're not sure what's ahead. Doing so will only get you ambushed at close range, resulting in heavy casualties.