A.I.

I read with interest WBW comments in the previous post and all parties make some good points. Having spent a while designing a new scenario, based on the fighting in Lower Oosterbeek during MARKET-GARDEN, I've tried to get as near to a 'historical' scenario as possible. Having walked the battlefield and used the relevant maps I'm quite happy with the map I've made and my OOBs accord with all the documents I could lay my hands on. My problem remains the A.I.

Can anyone give me an idea how the A.I. manages troop deployment and movement. I appreciate that there is a relationship between deployment and VLs, but there all rationale seems to end. Allowing the A.I. to deploy freely results in a chaotic distribution (to say the least) which the A.I. then goes on to modify (in often hilarious fashion).

If I limit the A.I. to Stick to Scenario default (where troops are clustered around the VLs) the A.I. still moves some units about after the game has started. The amount of movement and the aggressivness (read pile as many chaps over 'there' as possible)seem to be dictated by toggling the level of 'Computer Experience', i.e. +1 +2 +3. How does 'Computer Experience' influence the A.I.'s behaviour?

I need the A.I. to model an aggressive Axis attack or a solid Allied defense in depth. I'm currently working with a number of small VL flags with some fixed units. This is OK, but I'm wondering whether the collective experience assmebled here could help me out.

Any suggestions?

From my experience the levels of AI +1, +2, etc only changes the aggressiveness of the AI. The higher you put it the more conservative it is. I think that its less likely to move units around at level +3 then with no extra experience.

I would agree with Panzerman.

I am currently working on a Haut Fournel France (DDay) scenario and the German reinforcements are p*ssing me off.

I can only get the AI reinforcements to move forward towards the largest VF if the experience bonus is set low (0 or +1). If it is set to +3, the reinforcement mills about and finds cover (even if not under fire).

Stone

I see, very interesting. I shall do that and see what happens. As it happens, when I play the game without the the fog of war it doesn't seem too bad. But it would be interesting to set up the forces and see what happens. I'm concerned that too many are getting shot up on the move as it were.

As you say, a new problem developes with the arrival of reinforcements when experience is set too high. When I set no improvement, the AI still retained reinforcements to the rear. I'll work on this and let you all know.

Personally, I don't like it when a designer allows Reinforcement to suddly appear on the map (I prefer them to enter via the table edge), but I can now see why this occurs.

Thanks for responding . :D

To make the AI advance, make the VL location juicy by putting more flags than just 1 at one location.

The AI usually only advances through cover; make sure that at least one (better more) covered approach routes are available.

Try slightly different VL locations; in one scenario the AI (as attacker) did nothing. Then, I just moved the VL 10-20 m left or right, and suddenly the AI forces attacked (don't ask about why...).

Prepare for a LOT of game test runs if you want a challenging AI behaviour:)

Fred