Wiltz : great scenario , strange AI .

**********SPOILER**********SPOILER************

Yesterday , I played Wiltz as the Allied and did my best to win , moving soldiers and firing artillery and destroying German tanks with Bazookas , placing my Shermans and my M10 TD in strategic positions and finely got a Allied Total Victory , with only a few men KIA and all my vehicles untouched . I really enjoyed this scenario :both the battle and the beautiful pastoral landscape ( village , woods , snow falling around ). I decided to play it again and to apply a different defense strategy .Something strange happened : I placed one of the Shermans and the M10 TD totally exposed on the hill on the North of the map to watch the Weidingen road , the second Sherman on the right and a bit in front of the AT gun at the Wiltz's entrance to watch the road from Consthum and decided this time not to move any soldier . Just to see if I can stop the Germans only with the two Shermans and the M10 TD.The only thing I did was to press the GO button every 60 seconds ...like watching a movie .I was very much surprised to get an Allied Total Victory .

- score 84 for the Allied : 2 casualties ( 1KIA ) / 1 AT Gun destroyed.

- score 16 for the Axis : 36 casualties ( 8 KIA ) / 9 vehicles knocked out.

All that without doing nothing than watching the battle !

For the fun I did it again .This time I raised the AI experience level to the maximum and gave 200% more units to the Axis .It was a great scenery to watch the waves of German tanks coming one after the other . Again I placed my vehicles exactly as in the previous game and only pressed the GO button each turn .Well this time I lost all my 3 vehicles but the result was... an Allied victory again , a minor victory this time , but still a victory !!

I know that this is not the way to play and of course not the way to enjoy this very good scenario ( as I did enjoy ! ).My impression was that the AI was not enough aggressive when attacking. Even when all my vehicles were destroyed ( on turn 12 ) the enemy tanks were looking like hesitating to enter into the village .

.I doubt that the placement of my armored vehicles was so good that it made it so difficult for the AI to win .Was I lucky ?( if there were a few more turns I surely should have lost )

Later on I played the same scenario as the German attacker .That was a tougher game !

It looks like the AI was much better on the defense than in the attack.

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 02-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 02-04-2001).]

Wiltz was one of the first scenarios I played, and remains one of my favorites. It's the one that first brought Wild Bill's name to my attention...and he hasn't disappointed since!

You're right, though, the AI does a better job as a defender than attacker. In the end, the best games are against humans, but the AI can still kick your tail if you're not careful.

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

Hey Buckeye

It's not a surprise to me that Wiltz remains one of your favorites. I have to admit that in spite of the AI weakness I found when attacking ,there is something in Wiltz that make it too among one of scenarios I have most enjoyed to play!( since I posted my topic I played it again as a German attacker and lost !)

It's true that the best gaming experience is against a human ( I know it from my personal experience in other games ).I hope I'll soon be able to play against a human opponant .I'm still new in CM and in TBS in general and I feel I have to get more practice before I play against an experienced human opponant and get myself defeated after a few turns!

[This message has been edited by Crockett (edited 02-05-2001).]

Well, I'm sure you'll be ready in no time. Just imagine trying to play Wiltz as the attacker against a crafty opponent. Could be tough.

I had little experience with wargaming prior to CM, and none against humans. If you pay attention to what the grogs have to say, read some of the tutorials available at various sites, and review some of the AARs, you'll be fine. It also helps if you get your butt beat badly a few times wink.gif, because experience is still the best teacher!

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"