Questions regarding CMBB features

I did a search and didn't find something on this topics.

Will there be a "Hold Fire" Command for (inf)-units in CMBB ?

(Unit will not start a firefight under no circumstence).

If not, i wonder how one can conduct reconaissance. Now in

CMBO one can only use Snipers, Schrecks, FO's, HQ-units (By way of Ambush marker) and (gamey) crews or units without ammo.

Most often inf-units immediately start shooting vs. other

enemy inf units which is suicide most of the time when being on a recon

patrol or observation position.

Will SPW-crews still not be able to fight out of their vehicle ?

(An SPW-crew consisted of 10 men and a driver). So when shot at by

enemy inf they cannot throw handgrenades, fire the second MG and their

SMG's and carbines from the comparably good protection, but must instead have to demount

into the fire being slaughtered ?

Don't tell me they were only used as carriers. If things were fluent the

APC was a formidable weapon because it could bring quite a volume of fire to

bear while being mobile (In fact still much better while running). (I've read many accounts were bridges, villages

and the like were captured by hordes of APC's firing out every peephole -> Battles after the Breakout in

the Normandy, and Russia). In a night attack for instance you are a fool to leave the APC, when not being

threatend by ATG's and the like...soon being lost in the turmoil..

How is the APC handled when being shot at ?

If an APC is perforated by an AT-rifle for instance will it immediately being abandoned

or knocked out, rather then being only knocked out when engine and transmission was hit, or

the whole crew being cas. (This could be approximated quite good by angle of vehicle to

shooter and number of hits).

Will rocketlaunchers now fire their salvos in the correct manner ?

Launcher fires all it's rockets in about 8 seconds, and then needs some minutes

to fire another barrage ? (Even more if one take into account that about after every

barrage the launchers had to rellocate a hundred meters or so because they were so easily

spottable by counterbatteryfire due to the fumetrails of their rockets).

How will one conduct fast reconaissance in force, when there are no

such essential units as motorcycles in the game ? Using a 1000 point

reconvehicle armada ??

Will there be a command to force inf-units having antitank weapons, to use

them controlled by the player ?

Now they use them only when not being shot at, which is wrong. In reality

if a tank threat appears the squad in fact splits up into an antitank section (1-2 men),

while the others try to give them firesupport as good they can (if not panicked before of course).

How to do in CMBB other then with a command ? (I can still vividly

visualize having arrayed around 2 platoons around a sherman which then in fact shot their panzerfausts

against each other instead against the tank...

Will AT crews and the like (mortars, MGs) be able to reman abandoned guns ?

In reality it was a common feat of russian gun crews to

abandon their guns under heavy fire, only to reman them anew

shortly after to fire into the rear of the passing enemy.

Can we regroup units while in battle in CMBB ?

In real depleted squads where often formed into new

ones right on the spot. For instance a platoon has 50 % cas and

lost it's Leutenant it should be possible to fill up other depleted units.

A natural measure of economy in combat.

Will there be the possibility to camouflage fortified positions and

vehicles in CMBB ?

An almost must feature to fight historical battles in russia.

Can ramming, squahing occur in CMBB ?

Ramming was a last ditch weapon in tank vs. tank fighting, and AT-guns, Inf

units were squashed by tanks quite regularly.

Greets

Daniel

Originally posted by TSword:

I did a search and didn't find something on this topics.

Did you read the FAQ? Be warned, however, that portions of that thread are rather out of date.

Will there be a "Hold Fire" Command for (inf)-units in CMBB ? (Unit will not start a firefight under no circumstence).
Don't know about this one, but the improved ambush rules include a 'firing arc' command that will limit the area into which a unit will fire in all but the most dire of circumstances.

If not, i wonder how one can conduct reconaissance. Now in CMBO one can only use Snipers, Schrecks, FO's, HQ-units (By way of Ambush marker) and (gamey) crews or units without ammo.

Most often inf-units immediately start shooting vs. other enemy inf units which is suicide most of the time when being on a recon patrol or observation position.

Use very experienced sharpshooters.

Will SPW-crews still not be able to fight out of their vehicle? (An SPW-crew consisted of 10 men and a driver). So when shot at by enemy inf they cannot throw handgrenades, fire the second MG and their SMG's and carbines from the comparably good protection, but must instead have to demount into the fire being slaughtered?

Don't tell me they were only used as carriers. If things were fluent the APC was a formidable weapon because it could bring quite a volume of fire to bear while being mobile (In fact still much better while running). (I've read many accounts were bridges, villages and the like were captured by hordes of APC's firing out every peephole -> Battles after the Breakout in the Normandy, and Russia). In a night attack for instance you are a fool to leave the APC, when not being threatend by ATG's and the like...soon being lost in the turmoil..

Are you serious? Yes, I guess technically you could fire a rifle from the back of a halftrack speeding across a bumpy meadow at thirty miles an hour, but your accuracy wouldn't be worth crap -- and this all asumes you could remain standing at the time. Grenades might be thrown, but lord forbid you hit a bump and drop the bloody thing! And exactly where would you mount that MMG to get some measure of stability?

Fact is, in this time period, halftracks were not used as mobile infantry firing pits. They stopped, and the infantry dismounted. Yes, it may have been dangerous, but that is largely how it was done.

How is the APC handled when being shot at? If an APC is perforated by an AT-rifle for instance will it immediately being abandoned

or knocked out, rather then being only knocked out when engine and transmission was hit, or the whole crew being cas. (This could be approximated quite good by angle of vehicle to shooter and number of hits).

I imagine they will treat it similar to a 20mm Lynx shell penetrating an American HT right now.

Will rocketlaunchers now fire their salvos in the correct manner? Launcher fires all it's rockets in about 8 seconds, and then needs some minutes to fire another barrage ? (Even more if one take into account that about after every

barrage the launchers had to rellocate a hundred meters or so because they were so easily

spottable by counterbatteryfire due to the fumetrails of their rockets).

Unknown as to 'correct manner of firing.' I don't know the answer to your second question, but I would guess that would be considered beyond the scope of the typical CMBB engagement.

How will one conduct fast reconaissance in force, when there are no

such essential units as motorcycles in the game ? Using a 1000 point recon vehicle armada ??

Same way you do it now -- scout vehicles and running your infantry.

Will there be a command to force inf-units having antitank weapons, to use them controlled by the player? Now they use them only when not being shot at, which is wrong. In reality

if a tank threat appears the squad in fact splits up into an antitank section (1-2 men),

while the others try to give them firesupport as good they can (if not panicked before of course).

How to do in CMBB other then with a command ? (I can still vividlyvisualize having arrayed around 2 platoons around a sherman which then in fact shot their panzerfausts against each other instead against the tank...

Almost certainly will not be included -- both a game engine issue and an asthetics issue. I suspect being able to direct a squad to fire a particular weapon at a particular target would fall within the category of 'Too Much Micromanagement.'

Will AT crews and the like (mortars, MGs) be able to reman abandoned guns? In reality it was a common feat of russian gun crews to

abandon their guns under heavy fire, only to reman them anew shortly after to fire into the rear of the passing enemy.

I would like to see this feature at least for the artillery arm, as well -- for that very reason. I doubt we will see it before the engine rewrite, though.

Can we regroup units while in battle in CMBB? In real depleted squads where often formed into new ones right on the spot. For instance a platoon has 50 % cas and lost it's Leutenant it should be possible to fill up other depleted units. A natural measure of economy in combat.
Probably not as it would be beyond the scale of a thirty minute firefight.

Will there be the possibility to camouflage fortified positions and vehicles in CMBB? An almost must feature to fight historical battles in russia.
One would hope. Tanks and ATG on the defensive are spotted far too easily in the current system; however, I would not hold my breath for this feature.

Can ramming, squahing occur in CMBB ?

Ramming was a last ditch weapon in tank vs. tank fighting, and AT-guns, Inf units were squashed by tanks quite regularly.

Probably not.

Steve